Dry Preserve vs Tan.

Submitted by steve on 3/3/01. ( ) 209.206.196.109

What's the low down guys. I've heard the masters say dp was as good as a tanned cape. Watched sam cook do one on video. Why go thru all the tanning trouble if dp is as good.

Return to Category Menu

Tan is good DP is good I think is most about preference

This response submitted by Leon on 3/3/01. ( mith124@hotmail.com ) 209.224.41.74

Dp and tan both work to produce wonderful mounts, the rest is more for personal preference. I personaly like tanning for the simple reason that if it was my birthday present and I were to be given the chance to choose between two exacly similar deer mounts one done with dp and another one with tanning .... guess what? I would take tanning.

So I like to use products and do things as if it were for my own consumption.

Leon

Leon

for MANY more debates...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/3/01. ( ) 152.163.189.137

Try the archives. I would venture to guess that theres more debate on this subject in the archives than any other. Get comfortable, though, as there sure are alot of posts thru the last couple of years on this! Just scroll down to the bottom of this page, or try beginners, or deer heads...

While we're on the subject again!

This response submitted by Gordon on 3/3/01. ( ) 216.79.54.170

For about 10 years now I have done all of my previous deer heads with DP. And with very good success I might add. This year I did several capes using the LiQua-Tan method. I must say that the capes that are liqua-tanned seem to be much more easier and "cleaner" to work with in the final mounting stage. Honestly at this point if you put a couple of the Dp mounts beside the L.Tanned mounts you can't really tell the difference. However five years from now, I'm told that you probably will.(shrinkage around face and eyes) I guess the debate will always go on. As for me, I plan on doing more Liqua-tanned capes next year. Which brings up my Question---- Is there anyone out there that offers their customers either a DP mount or a Tanned cape mount? That's what I'm debating doing next year. Of course a tanned cape would be more expensive.

Gordon

This response submitted by George on 3/4/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.73

I've heard this before and I have to question the intentions of that. The customer obviously trusts you and, whichever method you remain loyal to as the "best", why would you offer any other choice. Why offer to do your work cheaper if the end results are the same in your eyes. Make it easier on your customer and don't put the onus on HIM. You charge him one price, no matter what size the deer is or the method you use and give him the best product you're capable of. Your name goes on both of them. Which one won't embarrass you when you see it 10 years from now?

Geoge has good points

This response submitted by Leon on 3/4/01. ( mith124@hotmail.com ) 209.224.41.74

George makes a good point about making a product that won't embarrass you when you see it 10 years from now?. I wonder do we still have the responsability to tell the custumer of the options ...? I am not advocating any or the other, I am just thinking about this topic, I am leaning towards protecting myself in the future by making the best product I can after all if a custumer is not willing to pay for the best product he most likley will take his business a soons the next cheaper taidermiest moves to the area

Leon

Thanks for your input!

This response submitted by Gordon on 3/4/01. ( ) 216.79.55.240

Thanks guys. I know this is a very touchy subject most of the time. I guess my concern comes from the fact that I will have to charge considerably more when I go to tanning all my capes next year. I know that the price increase will scare customers away. Especially the ones who don't know the difference between a DP mount and a tanned mount. These are the ones that probably don't even care- so to speak.

why so much more

This response submitted by JEM on 3/5/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

Gordon, why is the price gonna increase so much for a tanned vs DP? You should be able to get your capes tanned at a tannery for $25 add shipping and it is still under $35. The time you save is time you can be mounting something. The quality is probably gonna be better also - these folks use fleshing machines 8/hrs per day.

Good point.... but.......

This response submitted by Gordon on 3/5/01. ( ) 216.79.55.226

In my area, all of the local taxidermist within 100 miles charge $175 for a DP mount. If one tries to go up on price usually he ends up coming back down to whatever the cheapest tax. is because of fear of losing business. There are a couple that do tanning and they charge $275. They also do their own tanning. I don't plan on charging $275 but my fear still is that customers will not see the reason for going up on price. I still have about a year to think about what I will do. Oh well,, I didn't mean to get a never ending debate going again. Thanks for all of your comments.

sure cure

This response submitted by mike on 3/26/01. ( ) 209.250.46.71

has anyone out there used a product called Sure Cure
after salting the hide, you shave,spray on Sure Cure and put the deer on form INITIALLY YOU HAVE A VERY NICE LOOKING DEER TEN YEARS DOWN THE ROAD I DONT KNOW

Return to Category Menu