Short neck incisions and tanneries

Submitted by MS on 5/29/01. ( ) 168.212.72.101

I recently got a cape back from a very well known tannery and this cape was tubed with a short neck incision. My problem is that it has several holes cut throughout the neck. I have had numerous capes tanned at this tannery and have never had any problems until I tried the short incision. Shall I not send anymore this way? Just wondering.
MS

Return to Category Menu

Call your tannery

This response submitted by George on 5/29/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.43

Don't be bashful about it either. They are a professional business and you have reasonable expectations of service unless you are notified prior to their beginning. I recently had somthing similar bu on a large scale I fear. I sent a Kodiak bear and the ventral incision went only to between the front legs. When I got it back, it was cut up to within 2 inches of the center of the bottom lip. I called and the response was that this is common since it won't matter when the hide is rugged. After some very descriptive adjectives, they got the point that this was going to be a life-sized mount and not a rug. I was then told I'd get a discount on my next work. I explained that if this was what I could expect, there might not BE any "next" work.

Shouldn't Be a Problem

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 5/30/01. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 209.143.26.57

If your S I cape was a first year or small doe, with heavy hair, they can be a little trickier to shave. Maybe you just happened to get one that somebody made a mistake on, it happens to all of us.

Like George said, call and ask about it.

Thank-you

This response submitted by MS on 5/30/01. ( ) 168.212.72.101

Thanks for the advise! This was, in fact a small buck. I was disappointed in all of the additional work this has caused, however. Thanks again, guys!
MS

Return to Category Menu