Problems with Kwik-n-eze tan

Submitted by D. L. on 5/9/01. ( gobbler@juno.com ) 63.31.15.249

Last year I tried kwikneze tan on a large deer cape,I followed all instructions exactly and shaved the cape down thin, the cape went from a 23 to a 20 and a half, I have been a taxidermist for years and have used both DP and liquid tan with good results. Last week I decided to try again and now I have another cape with 2 inches of shrinkage. With the liquid tan in the past I didn't go through the pickle stage or let the capes dry out flint hard and I had good results. I know that there are several on the form that give DP a rough time , but if I have to go through this with every cape , I would be better off going with DP, I know there are some on here that will say what will happen in a few years with the DP , I have deer that have been mounted for over 20 years and they still look great. The question I want to ask is there any way to get some of the stretch back that I have lost with using this method of tan and has any one else also had this problem?

Return to Category Menu

My own experience!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/10/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

My own experience using KWIK-N-EZE is that it doesnt shrink. Normally I would pickle it, shave it, wash it, rinse, put back in the pickle overnight, then neutralize (with Baking Soda), rinse and paint on the KWIK-N-EZE. I then fold it for 3-4 hours, rinse with water, and its ready to mount after some final preping.

I can only guess but the only reason it would shrink is if it werent neutralized first, before applying the KWIK-N-EZE or the skin is washed prior to mounting and the oil portion of the product was washed out.

After you let the tanned cape dry - when you are ready to rehydrate it - do you treat it just like a commercial cape? Soak it for 30 minutes in a water solution with a handful of salt added for 1 gallon used, then remove, bag it, tie it off, and refrig it overnight? Any one of these factors could be a problem, but one would need more information to answer your question.

Return to Category Menu