Question for Mr. Rittel

Submitted by M. Secord on 7/30/01. ( archer@cbc.cc.tx.us ) 207.193.169.39

I have been using a pickling solution consisting of 1/2 ounce Safetee Acid, 16 ounces of salt, and 2 ounces of Bascal "S" crystals per gallon of water. The pH of this solution is very low (below 1 as near as I can tell using pH testing strips). I added the Bascal "S" to help set the hair. Is this low of a pH detrimental to producing a quality tan with EZ-100 or Lutan "F"? I neutralize the pickle by using 1 ounce of sodium bicarbonate per gallon of water and use a 30 minute exposure time for my deer capes prior to tanning. I came up with this recipe through trial and error, do you believe the addition of the Bascal "S" (which I believe is adipic acid ?) is beneficial?

Return to Category Menu

Good Combination!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 7/31/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

I've also tried this combination - and I like it! It seems to fully relax the skin and plumps it well for shaving. This may be a result of the Bascal S having a protein degrading quality. I had had similiar results to what you describe. In fact I find this combo interesting in terms of what it might do using those difficult African treated skins. I have not had an opportunity to try it on any, but it would seem logical that there is some benefit to "opening" them up more, and making them more presentable for shaving. I like this product and it will be available from Rittels as of 08/01/01 in small quantities or as Bulk. Contact us for prices.

Return to Category Menu