Preserve-It question for Bruce Rittel

Submitted by Chris on 7/17/01. ( cdppoolman@juno.com ) 63.17.146.151

I was just wondering if aquatic insect larvae could be preserved using Preserve-It and how I would go about doing so? Can it also be used on crawfish?

Return to Category Menu

I'd never pretend to be Bruce but he includes distinct....

This response submitted by Kristoph on 7/17/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.209.198

directions with the product on doing a crawfish. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your insect larvae. Try it and see, and then let Bruce know, he's always looking to add to his list of things it'll [preserve -it] will do.

I'd never pretend to be Bruce but he includes distinct....

This response submitted by Kristoph on 7/17/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.209.198

directions with the product on doing a crawfish. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your insect larvae. Try it and see, and then let Bruce know, he's always looking to add to his list of things it'll [preserve -it] do.

sorry bout the "double"....fat fingers....

This response submitted by Kristoph on 7/17/01. ( skionme2 ) 205.188.209.198

and early in the morning

Aquatic Insect larvae

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 7/17/01. ( stephen.rogers@home.com ) 151.201.62.1

Unfortunately you neglected to say what species of aqautic insect you wished to preserve, or if it was for a fluid collection or a dry preservation as in a mount, but I will attempt to answer both even though I also am not Bruce.
General Entomologists usually store aquatic insects in fluid form. Stream Biologists usually use Ethanol for long term preservation for the soft bodied larval forms of stone flies, may flies, caddis flies, etc. The chitin layer is not as well developed as adult specimens which are usually pinned out and dried and stored in glass topped museum trays as butterflies and other specimens are.
If your aquatic insect is actually a crustacean, like a crayfish or small freshwater shrimp that is shelled, then the Rittles product would probably work.
Dry preservation of soft bodies invertebrates can only be done well with a freeze drying machine - most large Entomology Collections have a smaller version of this that is used on Catipillars or soft bodied slugs, snails, spiders, etc. when a dry specimen is required. Without the freeze dry, or vapor dry techniques the specimens will shrival up when drying.

Thanks Kristoph & Steve!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 7/17/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Thanks - both of you. And I can only add that I've had Bait fish and Crawfish preserved in a solution for 14 months now, and the eyes on the bait fish are still perfect - no deterioration, both still appear great! In solution your insect larvae should be OK - but for drying - take Steve's advice.

Creating bird study mounts

This response submitted by Marge on 7/25/01. ( looner@nnex.net ) 207.14.76.172

I would like to learn to make some study mounts out of dead (frozen) song birds who have hit our window. Any advice? M

Return to Category Menu