Wet Tan - Dry Tan

Submitted by Jerry on 8/29/01. ( ) 144.9.158.86

I've read all the gamehead, (back to fall 1998), and about half of the tanning archives and I still have a question. What is the difference between wet tan and dry tan. I've only used the liqua tan method, is liqua tan a dry tan. Is a cape that comes back from a tannery completely dry and needs rehydrating a wet tan? What are the properties, pros & cons of each method. I have gained a ton of knowledge since finding this web sight and I'm very appreciative of those who take the time to share their knowledge and experience.
Thanks, Jerry

Return to Category Menu

Wet/Dry Tan

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Supply Co. on 8/29/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Hello Jerry,
Wet Tan is when you receive your cape or hides from the tannery in a wet state. You can tumble and mount imediately if desired or roll it up an freeze untill you're ready to mount.
A dry tan is when you receive your capes or hides back from the tannery tumbled and completely dried.You then need to rehydrate and sweat to prepare it for mounting.
You can do this with Liqua-Tan.After you pickle, flesh and neutrilise, you apply the Liqua-Tan to the cape.If you let it sweat for about 4 hours and then procede to mount, this is a form af a wet tan.
But if you apply the Liqua-Tan to the skins and hang them and completely let them cure and dry, this would be a form of dry tan

As far as which is better....well...everyone has their own opinions on that and the choice would be your own.They're both an excelent tan and we use both in our own shop.

I hope that this will help you in some way.

Have a great day,
Dave

and some say...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 8/30/01. ( ) 205.188.209.42

...that dry is better, because they dont have room for storing wet tan in freezers, but here at my place I soak and store all dry leather anyway, just to save the "life" of the tan. They stay fresh and workable this way. Confusion mounts when some call DP a dry "tan", which of course it is not. Dry and wet leatherizing tan, hows that? Wet tans are the SAME tan, just not dried for shipping.

Thanks

This response submitted by Jerry on 8/30/01. ( ) 144.9.158.85

I wasn/t sure if the terms wet/dry referred to the process, or the finished product. Once again, thanks for your considerate responses.

Return to Category Menu