Tanning Question

Submitted by Stacey on 9/6/01. ( writestacey@ureach.com ) 205.156.188.254

We are fairly new to the taxidermy business. In the past, we have always done the tanning ourselves. We have contacted a couple tanning facilities to send our hides to. My question is...how long after the salting process can these hides sit before shipping them to the tanning facility? If I could get a response to this question asap, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Puddling

This response submitted by George on 9/6/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.197

The tannery I use states that if the hide has stopped puddling or dripping water, it can be sent. I still hang mine to be sure as any wet boxing will get your hides nuked at the shippers. Call you tannery for their specific instructions.

shelf life

This response submitted by mm on 9/6/01. ( cathro@i2k.com ) 63.94.12.2

I think you are asking about shelf life. I dont know what part of the country you are from but what you have to watch out for in keeping a hide too long is high humidity (summertime) and bugs. If the hides have been kept cool and dry, they should be good for quite a long time, however, the longer you wait the more likely you are to get "breaks" , areas the tanners say will be likely to get cut during the shaving process. The chin is a particularly bad spot. Good luck,

mm

2 days

This response submitted by Randall on 9/7/01. ( ) 209.240.220.157

After the 2nd salting, hang the cape up and put a fan blowing on it . It should be dryed hard in 1 to 2 days. I live in a humid aera and it works great . Randall

Thanks

This response submitted by Stacey on 9/7/01. ( ) 205.156.188.254

Thanks for your responses. I just didn't want to wait too long before sending them. We wanted to send several at a time and didn't know if they could sit for a few days until the others were ready. Thanks again.

Return to Category Menu