Preserve it

Submitted by Randall on 9/10/01. ( ) 209.240.221.132

I am using E Z 100 with the auto tanner.
My question is: How long can you soak the cape in Preserve it, without hurting it? I was thinking about soaking it the night before I tan it: Then tan first thing in the morning. Will this work?
Randall

Return to Category Menu

Why?

This response submitted by George on 9/11/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.72

Randal,
I haven't a clue about EZ-100, but why on earth would you want to soak a hide in a formaldehyde substitute overnight when you plan on tanning it the next day? Logic tells me they aren't even compatible, much less steps that you'd want to use during a tanning process. Salt the hide so that the tanning process can begin properly.

Preservz-it/EZ-100 Auto tanning method

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Supply Co. on 9/11/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Hello Randell,

This is Bruce's recomendation for Preservz-IT:
1 fl.oz/Gal. Preservz-it
4 oz./Gal.Borax
Soak for 2 hours, with temperature at 35 degrees centigrade.
PH=9.1-9.2

After the skins has remained in the solution for 2 hours, remove andd rinse. Allow to drain for 30 minutes and place into the "Auto Tanner" with your EZ-100 solution and run for 2 hours and remove. Shave and degrease (If necessary) and put back into "Auto Tanner" and allow to run for another 2 hours.

George,the "Preservz-IT pre-soak" helps firm the epidermis, tightening the roots of the fur or hair.Its a preventitive for loose hair problems. Its a method Mr.Rittel recomends, and with my conversations with others, I've been told that it works great.

Have a good day to all on this disturbing and sad day. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all,
Dave

Auto tanner

This response submitted by Randall on 9/11/01. ( ) 209.240.221.128

The directions for EZ 100 , say to soak the cape for 2 to 3 hours in preserve it, before tanning it in the auto tanner.

Logically speaking!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 9/12/01. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.11.91

Thanks! Dave did a good job explaining why you would use the Preservz-It as a Pre-Tan before tanning with EZ-100 in the Auto Tanner - but as far as prolonging the soak in the pre-tanning stage, I havent tried it.

Logically however, since I've kept Crayfish, Baitfish and other wierd things soaked in the Preservz-It solution for months - intact - I'd say it would be OK. But I would personally prefer the shorter Pre-Tan period to a long soak.

Thanx Dave, And you too, Bruce LOL

This response submitted by George on 9/12/01. ( ) 152.163.188.68

Told you I didn't know diddly about EZ-100. It's truly amazin' how much the TANNING INDUSTRY IS CHANGING WITHOUT MANY OF US KNOWING, isn't it? LOL

whats a auto tanner?

This response submitted by watache on 9/13/01. ( ) 65.160.104.165

im just an old trapper wannabe taxedermist, what is a auto tanner ,how does it work, how much does it cost , where can i get one thanx

whats a auto tanner?

This response submitted by watache on 9/13/01. ( ) 65.160.104.165

im just an old trapper wannabe taxedermist, what is a auto tanner ,how does it work, how much does it cost , where can i get one thanx

But That DOES raise another question

This response submitted by George on 9/13/01. ( ) 152.163.188.68

This dumb country boy was always told and retold that the pickle with a LOW pH locked the hair in and that a higher than neutral (7.0) pH endangered hair follicles and actually made hair fall out. Isn't the best way to remove hair for hair off tanning to use lye with a pH of over 12.0? Why does the 9.1 now get credited with sealing the hair? Has J.W. Elwoods book been rewritten or what?

Watache,

This response submitted by Steve Rotramel on 9/18/01. ( steve@automatictanner.com ) 208.235.33.75

you can call us @ 800-542-9489. We make the machines.

Regards, Steve

Return to Category Menu