Auto Tanner Tanning Recipes

Submitted by Tim Ashley on 10/15/01. ( ashleystaxidermy@aol.com ) 216.141.217.195

After going through the archives,this is what I found for tanning recipes for the autotanner and frequently asked questions. If you have any recipes/tips that you would like to add. Please feel free to do so. For the beginners, print this page out for future reference. It will benefit everyone.
Thanks, Tim Ashley, Ashleys Taxidermy, St. Stephens,Alabama.

TANNING RECIPES

LUTAN F
Hey, I tried relying on my memory and it's pretty much non-existent anymore! Ha. Anyway, my apologies. Here's the recipe. Use 1 oz. Lutan F per pound of wet hide. (Avg. 8 lbs.) Use 5 gallons of water and 3.5 pounds of salt. Pressurize and tan. Overnight makes a real nice tan. You can put a light coat of liqua tan on afterward and it'll make a real nice soft tan. I think you'll be really happy with the results. Good luck. Over tanned, a little cold clear water and it will relax

ALUM TAN
This response submitted by mike d on 1/22/01. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com )
I have been using the autotanner for three seasons, and I mix my own tanning chemicals. I buy alum from a local dairy supply, and also salt. For each gallon of water used I add 8 oz of alum and 10 oz of salt (also about 1 tablespoon of sal soda). With an alum tan in the autotanner you should not be concerned as to pH, but more so about specific gravity; which is a factor governed by the amount and purity of your alum. Buy a Baume Hydrometer from Bruce Rittel and use it to check your solution strength, try to keep it at 7.8 to 8.0 on the scale. Because the likelihood of any two purchases of alum being The same in purity and strength is not certain; check your solution mix every time you buy a new supply of alum and adjust the proportions if needed- the most important thing in An alum tan is to use a solution that starts out at 7.8 on the hydrometer to assure even consistent tanning! Too much alum and you overtan, losing stretch; to little and you under tan, likely losing hair or causing skins to deteriorate before complete penetration of the tan. Nope! I wouldn't!
LUTAN F
This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 12/19/00. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com )208.141.229.5 Talking to Steve.....The inventor of the Automatic Tanner, He's told me that this tanner will tan with the use of all tans on the market, Lutan, E-Z Tan, Liqua tan, Ammonium Alum and others. With the Lutan-F the recipe should be per every 1# of cape, add 1oz. of Lutan-f and 1 lb. of non-iodine salt per 1 gal. water. It should only take 4-5 hours to tan out.

Hopefully this will help you out. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a cal at (1-800) 843-3320 ext. 105 or you can always e-mail me at this address.

LUTAN F
This response submitted by Rick on 4/27/00. ( ) 208.30.90.4 1 oz. per lb. of hide and 3.5 lbs. salt in 5 gallons of water. I think you'll really like it. Makes a soft tan. Tan them for 12-24 hrs. Longer the softer.
AUTOTANNER PICKLE
This response submitted by MarkV. on 7/17/00. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.87 Bruce Rittel will have what you're looking for Rittel@ici.net there is a recipe in Noonkester Supply catalog for speed pickling. I believe it is 1/2 oz per gal. of water of safetee acid 1 1/2 lbs. of salt per gallon of water. mix solution place your capes in at 50 lbs. of pressure for 1 hour. Remove capes, flesh and return for 2 more hours. Remove the capes neutralize and proceed with tanning. I will double check tomorrow but I believe this is it. I usually will add some preserve it also to the pickle. good luck,MarkV.

WASHING TANNED CAPES

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/21/01. ( Rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.18.43
The time to wash a cape or any skin is when it's in the pickle. I usually pull out the cape, shave it, degrease it (if it needs it), then wash it good (not soak it), and then return it to the pickle at least overnight - or until I'm ready to neutralize and tan it. I never wash the cape or skin after tanning until it has dried, either on the form or I've finished it for rugs or garments. Tanning oils can be washed back out, also some tans, so washing after the tan is taboo! You can simply rinse it in plain water after the tan, but stay away from washing. You could end up with hard spots.

Sticking Sawdust

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 1/9/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com )208.141.229.5 It sounds to me like you're using some type of SYN.TAN, SUCH AS liqua-TAN or CURATAN or the such. If this is the case, then tumbling the cape before you apply the oils is a real good idea to eliminate the excess water from the hair and skin. Then apply the synthetic oils. If using a wet tan, such as the Lutan-F, tumbling would not be needed until you're ready to mount.

A tip for you to prevent a lot of tumbling mix sticking onto the skin is to add about 10-12 oz. of POWDERED BORAX to your tumbling mix. I've done this for years with excellent results. If I can help you further on this subject, feel free to give me a call at (1-800) 843-3320 ext.105 or e-mail me at this address.

Oily hair

This response submitted by Steve Rotramel on 9/5/00. ( steve@automatictanner.com ) 208.235.33.201 Short answer - Yes. You can certainly leave the oil out of the tan and oil afterwards. Mix 1/2 with hot water: this is important to emulsify the oil so that it can be carried into the skin. I'm assuming that you tumbled the skin in corncob or sawdust with diatomaceous earth or mineral spirits added, as stated in the directions. We find this usually does the trick for us, but oiling afterwards is a good alternative. By the way, thanks for pointing out that this alternative is not mentioned in the directions. I actually thought it was and that you must have missed it. My bad; we'll get that fixed. Yes you can use

Prep work for A Tannery

Submitted by Chad on 9/23/99. ( w_chad@hotmail.com ) 207.87.249.37I plan to send out my capes to a tannery but I need to know what I have to do to prep the cape. I know I have to flesh and salt the cape. But do I have to pickle or shave the hide before I send it out? Thanks

This response submitted by JimTucker on 9/24/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 206.68.132.222 Turn the lips, turn the ears, split the eyes, remove as much meat as possible salt 24 hrs resalt 24 hrs let dry box & send In other words prepare them for salting as if you were going to do them. Give them a call though as one tannery I use doesn't like me to flesh too cleanly around the face as this makes it difficult for them to shave around the face.

Give us a call this response submitted by Gary & Diana Kies on 10/2/99. ( gdkies@dmci.net ) 209.69.227.239Jim is right -- call the tannery. And if you don't have one we would welcome the opportunity to serve you. Give us a call K &
K Tannery & Fur Dressing - 517-523-3196

Return to Category Menu

Return to Category Menu