question for JOhn c,,, citric acid pickle

Submitted by jen on 1/4/02. ( ) 152.163.188.231

just read a post that you answered about pickle will last for months unless is citric acid pickle, can you further your explaination of the negitive problem with that type of pickle?
thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Citric acid is edible, and will weaken considerably

This response submitted by John C on 1/4/02. ( ) 208.44.115.161

Look at the contents of Mt. Dew, Country Time Lemonade, etc. I tried Citric acid a lot of years ago back in the 1980's, it is ok for small shops doing one or two deer at a time and other than the salt is easily disposed of. The draw back is it is a high maintance pickle and is not stable for long periods, it will weaken with in a few days and its a fairly expensive pickle.

I opt for a severly stable pickle, it cost a little more to start but the maintance is easier and a whole lot cheaper.

Now if you are making lemonade for a large group citric acid will put the tartness in the mix for you.

ahhhhhhhhhh! thanks

This response submitted by jen on 1/4/02. ( ) 205.188.208.42

ahhhhhh ha ! i have heard from a professional tanner they dont use cause of the unstableness of it also , thanks for the follow up

Not entirely true John

This response submitted by Mark C on 1/4/02. ( srceight@i2k.com ) 198.92.78.43

I agree that the citric will weaken but that is because the skins are drawing it in. By adding more and close monitoring, it will become stable. Once stable, I have had citric pickles last quite some time without a problem. Also, cost is dependent on where you buy it. I pay $57.00 per 55 lb. bag and it is a high quality domestic stock.

There are allot of good pickle acids out there and citric is one of them. Things have changed quite a bit since the 80's.

Sorry, Citric is citric.

This response submitted by John C on 1/5/02. ( ) 208.44.115.159

98% citric acid has not changed and it being a FOOD item, I still will not use it for a lasting effect. It also has to contain BHT and BHA which is another FOOD quality preservitive.

I find I have a lot less trouble buy using formic or acetic acid.

Sorry I just dont want to add any food to the skins.

Return to Tanning Category Menu