Hides not drying fast enough after salting? try this.......

Submitted by b bishop on 1/11/02. ( bishops@newnorth.net ) 209.83.43.100

I have read some posts where this has been a problem so thought I would throw this out. What I do is after skinning, I rough flesh ( meaning that I remove 90 % of large meat chunks and most of the fat) then I salt and drain on a tilted board so all liquids may drain off, then I flesh again and this removes the stubborn membrane and most of remaining grease. Do not flesh too hard and damage hair roots. Salt again and hang leather out to dry rock hard. Try it you'll like it and if you have any ?'s you can e-mail me. Brad

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Brad

This response submitted by George on 1/11/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.69

Sounds pretty messy to me. I don't understand why anyone with a fleshing machine doesn't do all this in one fell swoop instead. I know hides need to be salted quickly, but immediately only applies to questionable hides and they'll probably cause you problems regardless. I run all my hides across the wheel as part of the fleshing process, then salt. Within 3 to 4 days, it's dry to the touch but still pliable. Shaving a salted hide must really play havoc with the fleshing wheel.

Hi G.R !

This response submitted by b bishop on 1/11/02. ( bishops@newnorth.net ) 209.83.43.108

When I say flesh the hide, what I am saying is to scrape the fat and meat off with a knife and beam. I do not shave the leather down until the hide has been in the pickle for aprox. 3 days. I know some people use thier shaving machine to remove this fat and meat but I really dont want that mess and have to keep changing the guards all the time.

really new at this

This response submitted by Karl on 1/15/02. ( kengel@pacifier.com ) 66.43.9.12

I am a scout leader wanting to make an indian style drum. Several weeks ago I was given an elk hide. I called a mountainman friend and he started talking me through the process. I salted the hide. I scraped the meat off. I soaked it in a lime solution and pulled the hair. I have now scraped the inside membrane and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. I nearly have the inner mambranes off.. The thing (my family is now refering to as Heidi, the other woman in the garage) is soaked. Now What. one guy suggests more salting and another says salt and then soak in a baking soda solution to pull the salt out. Remember I am making a drum.

any ideas will be helpful.

Karl

Return to Tanning Category Menu