Wanting to tan a deer hide

Submitted by Dan on 1/17/02. ( ) 152.163.189.135

Hey, I am wanting to tan my doe hide. I've tanned a squirrel hide useing a battery acid solution. It worked well but I lost the recipe. I've read about other chemicals that could be use but I cant seem to find them. Would you guys know anything about the battery acid recipe or where I could get a better solution? Thanks, Dan

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Whoa...

This response submitted by Dan on 1/17/02. ( ) 204.203.54.49

Although I have nevr tried it, I can't imagine that using battery acid is too wise. Check the archives-that would be the search button. Rittel's has a nice tan- A little safer to use than the battery acid. Good Luck!

Sulfuric acid pickle it what it was.

This response submitted by John C on 1/17/02. ( ) 208.44.115.47

Electrolytes for batteries sometimes have other chemicals added. Pure Sulfuric acid works fine I know several big shops that use it. What did you use for tanning agents.

yeah

This response submitted by Dan on 1/19/02. ( ) 64.12.96.205

yeah, I heard that what makes battery acid work is the small amount of sulfuric acid in it. I had mixed the battery acid with water until it was harmless to the touch, then I just let the squirrel hide soak for a week or two. I had to wash it out then strech it, its became pretty soft. Thanks

Battery Acid Recipe

This response submitted by r.h. in n.e. okla. on 2/5/02. ( ) 205.240.136.123

This is taken out of Nov./Dec. issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal.

2# salt, 8 oz. battery acid, 2 gallons of clean water, and 1 heavy rock to hold the hides down.

Battery Acid Recipe

This response submitted by r.h. on 2/5/02. ( ) 205.240.136.123

Sorry that is the nov./dec.1999 issue

i want to tan my doe hide

This response submitted by Joe on 01/13/2003. ( joeb412@aol.com ) 152.163.188.200

hi, i whould like to know if there was any thing else i could use other than sulfuric acid and if there was were can i get it (ether of the two?

p.s please email me!

Return to Tanning Category Menu