Tanned hides

Submitted by DMose on 1/18/02. ( DMose32@aol.com ) 64.12.96.168

I'm getting my first hides from the tannery.I understand to soak in cool water for 30 min. drain,wrap with towell and put in fridge.I took measurements before they left but didn't order forms.Will these measurements be the same or will they be smaller. I noticed some capes when I went to deliver that they had some stretch. Does anybody have any input on this? Do's or Dont's? Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Measure after rehydrate

This response submitted by Paul on 1/19/02. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.38.185.144

After its rehydrated, stretch for width and measure below ears and 3 inches down. This gives you your b and d measurement, the eye to nose you should already have. You can now freeze capes and order forms...Paul

remember to add a cup of salt to your water

This response submitted by dwl on 1/23/02. ( ) 168.178.126.147

or you could get acid swell! they should be a little bigger on neck area best thing to do is rehydrate stretch neck out some get measurement. use origanal nose to eye measurement then order forms put capes in freezer untill ready to mount. then thaw spin out excess water in washing machine, put in plastic bag, sweat overnight in refrigerator and mount.

Return to Tanning Category Menu