Bird tanning solution?

Submitted by Valentin Potchekansky,Bulgaria on 1/20/02. ( wasbg@mailcity.com ) 62.32.52.1

Greetings to all participants in the Forums,with the best wishes for the New Year!
Gentlemen,I would like to get some advice for the bird tan formula.May I use succefully the Aluminium Sulphate(AL2(SO4)3),or other Alums in the solution,instead of the Lutan F ?
I reviewed my old taxidermy magazines and found an article (Breakthrough,issue 33),by our good friend Bruce Rittel,who recommend the Alums as a agents in the pickling formulas for mammals.I will apreciate every opinion!Best regards!Valentin

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Bird Tans

This response submitted by George on 1/20/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.165

are about as useless as windshield wipers on a cats butt. The skin is too thin to waste time and money trying to preserve it. Use borax or dry preservative. It's worked for eons.

Borax 95%. Alum 5% is all you need for birds.

This response submitted by John C on 1/20/02. ( ) 208.44.115.47

Like Roofster says. bird tanning is a over kill. Just mix the powders together and sprinkle the skin very well.

Roofster ? ? ?

This response submitted by Tim on 1/21/02. ( stuffit@bendcable.com ) 66.62.152.10

LOL Ü

Thanks

This response submitted by Valentin Potchekansky on 1/27/02. ( wasbg@mailcity.com ) 62.32.52.1

Thank you very much for the responses to you,George and John!
I think I will follow up your advices...
Thanks again and best wishes!
Valentin

How to?

This response submitted by Jim Schwartz on 11/11/2002. ( SemperFi06@aol.com ) 152.163.188.198

I'm a rookie, never done any tanning and don't know where to begin. Lots of questions. Where do I get alum? Use it dry or in a paste. What proportions? How to apply? How long to leave on? How to remove? - etc.

Thanks - Jim Schwartz

Return to Tanning Category Menu