Size of tumbler

Submitted by Sean on 2/15/02. ( skauctions@mhonline.net ) 209.23.41.164

I am planning on building a 4' x 6' tumbler using the plans from Rittels. What I need to know is this tumbler large enough to tumble larger hides (bears, buffalo, elk, etc.) or should I think larger. At first I want to use it for mostly coyotes and deer but if I am going to invest the money I want something I am not limited on size with. Does the cage tumbler need to be as large also. If anyone has used these plans and has any advice it will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Large skins need width!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/15/02. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.12.233

In terms of what you are going to use your tumbler for - in this case for large hides like Buffalo, Bears, Elk, and maybe even Cowhides - the main concern should be on the width of your tumbler! Narrow tumblers make the skins fold inward and they end up rolling or folding into a ball, and then rolling in your tumbler. Increasing the width of your tumbler can prevent that. In this case - you might want to go to a Drum and Cage in the 6' high by 6' wide category for much better performance!

Can your plans...

This response submitted by Sean on 2/16/02. ( skauctions@mhonline.net ) 209.23.41.164

be altered to make a 6' x 6' like you mentioned? And can I use the same plans for both. Thank you for your time on this.

Both..

This response submitted by Sean on 2/16/02. ( skauctions@mhonline.net ) 209.23.41.164

When I said both I meant can I use the same plans to make a tumbler and cage tumbler. Just wanted to clear that up. Thanks again.

Our plans!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/16/02. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.4.113

Yes - the plans can be altered to accommodate a wider Drum - but you may have to use your own judgement to do it. Obviously the plans themselves do not provide for a change like this.

As for using the same plans to build a Drum and a Cage. Easy. just use Mesh instead of a solid covering on the Drum and you can produce a very practical Caging Drum instead.

Thank you!

This response submitted by Sean on 2/16/02. ( skauctions@mhonline.net ) 209.23.37.149

Mr.Rittel,

Thank you!

This response submitted by Sean on 2/16/02. ( skauctions@mhonline.net ) 209.23.37.149

Mr.Rittel,
Thank you for all of your help. I am waiting for your catalog to arrive to place my orders.

Return to Tanning Category Menu