wet tan slippage

Submitted by Craig on 3/1/02. ( blackbeartaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 204.61.205.2

This past fall I received several hides from Easters Micro Tan that I had wet tanned. When I began mounting these capes, I noticed slippage to some degree in almost every cape. I've alerady had to discard 4 of them because of bad slippage. Two were in the face, two in the shoulder brisket area. I contacted Easters' after the first unmountable cape and was told they had an acid problem in their fall pickle. I have had to buy four capes so far to replace these. I know the problem did not occur at my shop. Has anyone else had this problem with Easters' (or any other tannery)? I spoke to the owner about replacing these capes, and he said he'd check his inventory and get back to me. That was 2 months ago.
I was real pleased with the stretch I got with wet tan versus dry. However, I'll fight tight skins all day rather than have to throw out ruined wet tanned hides.
Again, my question is, is this an all-around problem, and is there a certain way to handle wet tanned capes? For the record, I froze them immediately, and followed their rinse instructions to the letter. And I noticed the slippage once I thawed them out.
thanks
Craig

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tannery

This response submitted by George on 3/2/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.78

Have you contacted the tannery. This is highly unusual for a professional tannery to be at fault for hide slippage. Hides that are salted correctly and then processed properly have less of a reason for slipping than improper field care and taxidermists preparation. If it's not YOUR fault, then it has to be their's. Contact them.

YES I called the tannery.

This response submitted by Craig on 3/3/02. ( blackbeartaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 24.95.26.173

As I stated in my opening letter, they said they had an acid problem in their fall batch.(this was supposedly due to a change in Litmus paper made by their supplier). I have been using a commercial tannery for over 10 years. I can assure you, that there was not a salt problem on my end. In fact, my own deer from that season, which I know was turned and salted completly and correctly, had real bad slippage on the back of its ears and head, as well as along the right side of irs face. I am only mounting it because it's my own deer. I would replace the cape if it was a customers.
As I said earlier , I have contacted them. They were supposed to get back to be a long time ago about replacing some capes. I have not heard a thing since, and the owner has not returned my calls.

Return to Tanning Category Menu