Kudu to dry? HELP PLEASE

Submitted by Tony on 3/6/02. ( hardwickt@aol.com ) 205.188.209.172

I just got my Kudu cape back from the tannery and it's like a lifeless piece of rubber. The tag from them said it was to dry. Is there anything that can be done? right now it has NO stretch.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Simple

This response submitted by Elmer on 3/6/02. ( Topstaxidermy@aol.com ) 64.12.96.78

I am assuming that it is for a shoulder mount. Rehydrate according to your tanners instructions. If they didn't give you any call them.

Tony, I read your question as the hide was to dry

This response submitted by John C on 3/7/02. ( ) 64.216.172.62

for the tannery to tan.

I ran into a problem with a caribou, it may take some time.

Use a relaxer, bacteracide, salt to soak it up as much as possible. Next go into the pickle you may want to allow the pickle to be around 3.0 pH (Here is something I readhave not tried it) easy with the salt in the pickle about 1 lb per gallon. Watch th hide it will plump some, using a curriers knife (as described in the latest NTA OUTLOOK) quickly peel the hide down work the face and lips etc. back into the 3.0 pH pickle.

Now here it a twist you are going to see the pH is slightly higher, due to possible grease burn the pH needs to higher for a wetter skin even as high as 4.5pH

You may want to use a little acid bate, go very easy with acid bate as it works on protins left in the hide.

NOW THIS IS NOT A LEAVE AND GO BACK LATER METHOD, YOU MUST WATCH THIS OR YOU WILL LOSE THE HIDE.

Return to Tanning Category Menu