IF IT ISN'T RIGHT WHY DONT THEY CHANGE IT?

Submitted by TIM on 3/9/02. ( ) 204.136.184.34

If the instructions on the lable of Liqua Tan are not correct why dont they change them instead of misleading people.It says to salt for 24 resalt for 24 rehydrate,wash out salt,towel dry and LIQUA TAN.This is wrong.Right?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Its just one way.

This response submitted by John C on 3/9/02. ( ) 64.216.172.23

The more and deepr you get into taxindermy and tanning you may find you want to change the way you do things.

So what's WRONG with that way?

This response submitted by George on 3/10/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.75

I still don't get the reason for the tantrum. The way you describe is what most topical tans list as one of the methods. If you are referring to the pickle stage, I never use it on fresh green hides (sorry, tanning officianados) and I have yet to experience any slippage. Immersion tans, however, are a whole 'nuther story.

To pickle or not?

This response submitted by Bill M. on 3/10/02. ( wmansell@adelphia.net ) 24.55.163.60

Tim- when Dale Knobloch originally formulated liqua-tan he suggested using the product with the message you outlined (no pickle). Most of the time it worked fine that way but occassionally I'd find loose hair in the brisket area. He said this was due to moisture which remained and flowed down to this area while it was hanging to dry. Usually with drying this will tighten up especially when you don't hang the deer to dry but lay it on the floor brisket up. However , for the little extra effort and expense why not do it right and pickle it first- this will avoid any headaches. Before the arrival of liqua-tan an awful lot of deerheads were mounted by simple pickling, neutralizing, rinsing and mounting.

i tryed it and

This response submitted by jen on 3/13/02. ( ) 205.188.208.170

now dont put down something you havent tryed, i got all sorts of peices to experiment on as i am and will be forever learning, and yes it does work! maybe not as fancy or what ever as the whole process, but get some pieces to experiment on and you see
that is very good product with or with out the pickle.

IT may slip on heavy haired animals.

This response submitted by John C on 3/13/02. ( ) 64.216.172.36

On short haired animals it works fine normally, but then there are those border line hides and those thick northen hored deer, it dont do well on them.

Return to Tanning Category Menu