Commerical tanned cape

Submitted by Jay on 3/15/02. ( jj78629@Yahoo.com ) 63.125.71.68

Hi everybody,I mounted my first commercial tanned cape yesterday. I usually mount wet tan. I soaked it in water 3 hours. Then let it drain. I shaved lips,eyes,nostrils, then bondoed the ears. Put it in a bag, and put it into the icebox overnight. Used Tecnaglue for my adhesive like I always do and put it thick. Mounted it, and checked it today. Glue did not stick, in alot of places. Had to card and pin it. Should I have dried the wet cape more, before mounting, or added the glue to both surfaces? Thanks for your help. Jay

Return to Tanning Category Menu

well lets see

This response submitted by john z on 3/15/02. ( ) 209.195.144.95

i never mounted any commercial tanned skins but all were mounted wet. everything should be pinned and carded no matter what kind of tan you decide to use. as the skin dries it will shrink. things will move around a bit. if you dont pin or even nail some things you are sure to get drumming. it is a lot of extra work but it is all very necessary. best of luck!

Seems to me

This response submitted by Roger on 3/15/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.232.34.138

like you probably used enough glue. When and if George responds to this post, he will point out that Epo-grip adhesive would have been a cure-all for the job, and I share that opinion. Was the cape large enough or was it too tight? Was the cape well-drained or soaking wet?

Seems to me

This response submitted by Roger on 3/15/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.232.34.138

like you probably used enough glue. When and if George responds to this post, he will point out that Epo-grip adhesive would have been a cure-all for the job, and I share that opinion. Was the cape large enough or was it too tight? Was the cape well-drained or soaking wet?

what

This response submitted by john z on 3/15/02. ( ) 209.195.144.95

what difference does the glue make? if things are moving on him he needs to secure the skin until the glue takes hold.

Did you rough-up the form?

This response submitted by jerry on 3/16/02. ( akbirds ) 66.58.160.216

Maybe an answer: did you prep the form before applying the glue? Maybe the glue didn't stick to the form? Just an idea.

John Z,

This response submitted by Larry on 3/16/02. ( ) 209.240.222.32

Thats the beauty of the high-quality,two-part adhesives.They set up before the hide has time to start"moving around".Most skins(tanned or dry preserved)dont start shrinking till 24 hours after mounting.Epo-grip sets up about 6 hours after mounting.You do the math.

hey larry

This response submitted by john z on 3/16/02. ( ) 209.195.145.108

is this stuff cost effective? are there any fowl odors? and what about not being able to make adjustments after the fact? i fully appreciate the comments that you make but i cant get past the one shot try that it seems you have to deal with here. im not sure that anybody that is less experienced in taxi should use this stuff. i am by no means a beginner but i still make mistakes. mistakes that i sometimes catch the next day, but hey no problem here i can fix it cause my hide paste has not yet completely set. do you see where im going here. the product that you mention is great and all but im not comfortable advising it to somebody who may not be ready to use it, for obvious reasons, im not implying anything specific on jay, i hope he is not offended. just me talkin you guys know that you all can doo whatever you damn well please, its a free country for now. good luck! john z

hey jerry may be right her too

This response submitted by john z on 3/16/02. ( ) 209.195.145.108

this is elementary but he's %100 correct

Thanks everyone

This response submitted by Jay on 3/16/02. ( jj78629@Yahoo.com ) 63.125.71.109

Thanks for the reply's. No it was not soaking wet. I did use a stout rougher on the form and sanded it good. The cape fit great. I have used killer glue, before and liked the results, but one time I had trouble with a mount and it set up on me to fast and I was unable to get some hair patterns in the right place in the brisket area. Also, I got tired of mixing it up, and it made a mess! Usually I use Liqua-tan, and use the Technaglue on a wet tan. I never have to pin, card, or staple anything. It's sticks good. I just run my finger's over the cape the next two days or so. So my question was, does anybody apply the adhesive on both the cape and the manikin? Does a comm. tanned cape after rehydration, soak all of the glue into the leather, rather than sticking the cape to the form?
I had a mount to come back to me this year I did 5 years ago. I was having pickle problems at the time, and the hair fell out. I used Joe Combs dextrine hide paste. Sticky stuff! When I took the cape off of the manikin after rehydrateing in a bucket of water, the only place it was stuck was in the brisket area. The glue had soaked into the cape, I guess, and hadn't stuck it to the manikin. I wonder just how many glues really work? With oil in the cape, how does any glue stick? Maybe it's just a temporary thing. Thanks for all that reply. Jay

My thoughts on this

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 3/16/02. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.162.240

Jay, You've gotten lots of response on this one and here's one more. I mount almost all deer w/commercial tans.1st I don't soak them, just the head part for 30 minutes then wet it all over roll up and sweat it over night in the refrigerator in a bag. Next day fine shave what needs it, dry ears well(I use a hair dryer) bondo ears and mount. The cape is not real wet at this point but should stretch fine. I mount with killer glue (lots of folks on here hate the stuff)I mix it 1/3 hardner and 2/3 resin approxamatly to extend working time.After mounting I bag the entire head on the mounting stand with a super large trash bag.After 2 hours I go back and check things but 6 and 8 hours later I can make slight adjustments. Next day the bag comes off and it starts drying. No pins except front corner of eyes and in the preorbital glands, no drumming and good adhession.I think your cape might have been too damp but your idea that glues might be "temporary" is certainly thought prevoking- Aaron Honeycutt

Return to Tanning Category Menu