chances of saving a 8-9 yr old tanned moose cape?

Submitted by steve on 3/20/02. ( mtnman28@prodigy.net ) 63.255.212.165

Well guys, guess i have a question and i couldn't find the answer in the archives. I have a client that has shipped me a tanned moose cape that he has had commercialy tanned about 8-9 years ago. It has been in a bag sealed up in a box in a closet since arriving back from the tannery. Yes i know it should have been stored in a freezer and he also knows now. But he wants to know if it can be saved? I have told him that it might fall apart during rehydration and if so i will be in the market for a tanned alaskan moose cape.( large, was a 63 inch moose) Are there any special rehydration steps to increase my chances of saving this? I have never attempted to rehydrate a cape of this age. Has anyone had any luck with pieces of this age? I don't know which tannerry it was tanned at so i can't call them. Thanks for any help in this matter

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Steve

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 3/20/02. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.241.79.65

Check your e-mail, info on the way!

A million possibilities, go for it!

This response submitted by John C on 3/20/02. ( ) 64.216.172.23

What do you or the customer have to loose? Try it just like you would a fresh hide. Or try a piece of it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu