Tanning

Submitted by Tanner on 4/1/02. ( henke_tanner@hotmail.com ) 63.160.198.41

could anyone e-mail me a step by step process for tanning a buffalo? iv been using the search and i still am a little unclear on how to do it. I just want a cheap way to do it but i still want it to be soft and flexable. Im trying to make a blanket. and was wondering if you actually have to pickle them. and how much salt of any you need to sut in the water when you are re-hydrating a salted cape and just stuff like that. any help would be great
Thanks
Tanner

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tanner

This response submitted by Roger on 4/1/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.232.34.102

With all due respect, this may be a perfect opportunity to avail yourself to the convenience of the service of a commercial tannery. That being said, a pickle solution would definitely add to the chances of your tanned buffalo hide being successful. The chances of you ending up with a soft, flexible blanket increase proportionately with the fleshing, thinning of the hide, and using a good softening oil when breaking the hide. A belt sander will go a long way to enabling you to end up with a good finished hide. Use a tan like Rittels EZ 100, Safetee Acid for the pickle, and something on the order of Pro-Plus oil to finish the hide, and be prepared to work. I still think your best bet would be to sub this one out. Good luck.

Return to Tanning Category Menu