QUESTION

Submitted by JOE on 4/20/02. ( POWERMOSQUITO@HOTMAIL.COM ) 216.161.97.153

I HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN AND PICKLED MY HIDES IN SAFETY ACID OR PICKLING CRYSTALS WITH A MAKE UP OF CITRIC ACID THEN CREAM TAN AFTER NEUTRALIZING WELL IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE IN USING A DRY PRESERVATIVE AFTER THE PICKLE INSTEAD OF CREAM TAN! SINCERELY JOE

Return to Tanning Category Menu

WHY?

This response submitted by George on 4/20/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.200

And Joe, SHOUTING makes it hard to read as well. Dry Preservative either is or ain't. If you use DP, why bother with the pickle. DP relies on drawing moisture OUT of a hide. Pickling means that the tan is already half done for you, so why change horses midstream.

GOOD POINT GEORGE!

This response submitted by KJM on 4/20/02. ( ABearTaxidermy@aol.com ) 198.81.23.72

For the most part, Dry preservative is alright and good enough for birds. Use of (and I know a lot of people will get upset about this statement--but it IS TRUE) dry preservative for game heads, and life- size animals will produce a dried "jerky type" skin which is NOT tanned or preserved in the true sense that a quality tanned skin is from lutan FN or other tanning agents. Dry preservative in our opinion, is not suitable for game heads or life size mounts. Regardless of the successful use of this method, the facts are that any skin treated by this methodology is not truely tanned. TANNING is caused by an actual chemical change (leaching fat and protien out and replacing with stabilized tanning agents). Anything less is a short cut and chances are taken. Sometimes costly ones!

Return to Tanning Category Menu