Need Formic acid

Submitted by Jim on 4/24/02. ( Jimdarhunt@msn.com ) 208.249.101.4

I live in the Pittsburgh (PA) area.
Any PA / WV / OH Taxidermists have any Formic suppliers within pittsburgh area.

Your help would be appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Need Acid?

This response submitted by Toonster on 4/24/02. ( ma_toonster003@yahoo.com ) 65.28.174.42

Harcros Chemical out of St. Louis,Mo--Dont know the number but they will be able to tell you if there is a dealer in your area. Hope this helps you out. Toonster

Try Antec

This response submitted by cur on 4/24/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.106

Antec at www.kyantec.com may help find sales/distribution in your area.

When storing Formic acid, it should be kept in a proper container with a safety valve. Concentrated formic acid slowly decomposes to carbon monoxide and water upon prolonged storage, and the gas pressure can be sufficient to rupture sealed glass container, causing mild explosions with glass shard shrapnel. Merck recognised the problem some years ago, and their containers use a black cap incorporating a degassing valve.

Several labworkers and others have been injured when formic acid that was stored in containers with no safety de-gassing valves exploded. Just a word of caution.

Formic Acid

This response submitted by Dave B. on 4/24/02. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Tom and Vicki Matuska at Matuska Taxidermy Supply Co also sells formic, although they're out of Spirit Lake,Iowa (1-800)488-3256

Regards,
Dave

i get mine here

This response submitted by rick on 4/24/02. ( wrighttaxider@alltel.net ) 162.39.26.104

Jim give these guys a call Industrial Chemical and Supply CO. its in Indiana PA 724-349- 2543 , the only thing is you havr to buy in bulk.I bought a drum of 90% formic acid off these folks for $425.00 thats a heck of alot cheaper than the $30 a gallon rate most supply companies want. hope this helps. If you only need a gallon or so and feel like taking a drive you could come up here and i'll sell you some I live about 9 miles from kittanning. just e-mail me and i'll givwe directions.

someone who knows where Kittanning is?

This response submitted by Derek [croc] on 4/24/02. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 166.102.39.197

Rick ,I'm actually in Kittanning its nice to know that someone else has heard of the place lol,I don't know if it pertains here or not but the feed store in worthington sells citric acid 98 or 99% pure for 65 bucks for 50 pounds,don't know how any of you feel about citric,I'm just starting out and am using Van Dykes pickling crystals now but was checking out the local places and came acroos the citric,well good luck Jim, and Rick drop a line sometime would like to hear from a local taxidermist, Derek.

someone who knows where Kittanning is?

This response submitted by Derek [croc] on 4/24/02. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 166.102.39.197

Rick ,I'm actually in Kittanning its nice to know that someone else has heard of the place lol,I don't know if it pertains here or not but the feed store in worthington sells citric acid 98 or 99% pure for 65 bucks for 50 pounds,don't know how any of you feel about citric,I'm just starting out and am using Van Dykes pickling crystals now but was checking out the local places and came acroos the citric,well good luck Jim, and Rick drop a line sometime would like to hear from a local taxidermist, Derek.

Thanks a Ton

This response submitted by Jim on 4/24/02. ( ) 205.187.247.10

I knew I could depend on you guys.

Return to Tanning Category Menu