question for bruce

Submitted by Casey on 5/26/02. ( Patti@syclone.net ) 63.80.112.80

bruce (or any other with personal experience on subject),
ive checked archives but did not find precisely what i would like to know so here it is....i utilize saftee acid and ez-100 for everything (best tanning product on the market in my eyes) we are an active duty military family and i currently have several capes, hides, L/S skins that are green....normally i tan with the ez-100 then mount following the "sweating period". we are getting ready to move again and i dont have enough time to mount everything....can i tan and dry the skins then when i get to my new destination and get settled in just re-soak tanned hides in water then mount and still get the excellent stretch and prolonged workability that i normally get from the ez-100 tan,and also have them re-dry as they normally would if i were mounting straight out of the tanning solution...this would seem to be my best option for preserving specimens till i can mount...salt dry is not really a preffered option as the skins are going to be boxed up and stored, who knows were for several months. thanks for your input and im hoping youll tell me what i hope to be true
thanks
casey

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Rehydrating them is the way to go!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/26/02. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.1.3

I personally prefer to dry my skins and capes - then rehydrate them prior to mounting. It saves freezer space and I dont have to worry about "brown outs"!

Yes - tan and oil your work - then hang them to dry. I dont even work them soft - just dry. Then when I'm ready - I use the 1 handful of salt to every 1 gallon of water method, soak them for 30 minutes - plastic bag them, tie it off and put them in the frig overnight. This method will work great on any tanned skin - EZ-100 - Alum - Lutan F! Remember - if its tanned - there's no good reason to add Bacteriacide to the salt solution! Dont waste your money!

thanks thats what i was.........

This response submitted by Casey on 5/26/02. ( Patti@syclone.net ) 63.80.112.33

hoping you would tell me.....now i dont have to worry about what to do with em all thanks again...you've really put me at ease not having to worry about what to do with all the skins
THANKS BRUCE
casey

Return to Tanning Category Menu