A "Master Taxidermist" Told Me.........

Submitted by Chris on 5/26/02. ( ) 65.68.100.206

I have a pretty good relationship w/this person who has many awards and ribbons displayed in her office and I think she does excellent work. I recently visited her and we were talking about tanning. I'm only 3 years into the business and love getting her advice except for our last conversation. She told me that she no longer uses salt at the beginning of the tanning process. She rough fleshes the cape on the fleshing machine, puts it in the auto tanner, removes it and fleshes it again, puts it back in the tanner for a couple of hours, removes it, dryes it in the tumbler, applies oil, lets it sit over night and then mounts it. She says she has excelent results with this method and I think she does about 2 or 3 hundered deer a year. Every thing I have read on the forums goes against this process of not salting twice. Is this o.k.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I no a few that do that

This response submitted by Buckshot on 5/26/02. ( ) 64.12.96.38

My high school teacher did that before he started sending them to a commercial tanner. Said he never had any problems at all.

Yes it works very well and not everything says salt

This response submitted by John C on 5/26/02. ( ) 64.216.172.19

Having owned a Auto-Tanner for many years now, I can attest to the fact that it don't require you to presalt. She told you 100% correct information. The A-T will also turn a green (spoiled) carnivore into a mountable hide. A smelly almost slipping deerhide into a mountable hide. All without presalting or drying first.

I have replied to many questions just like this in the forums, you just missed it somewhere.

For normal tanning you have to salt twice. Not with the Atuotanner and the crystals suppilied by Steve.

I just hope she has help

This response submitted by George on 5/26/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.198

If she's a one deep shop like most, she must have a 10 year backlog by now.

someone asked for an auto tanner recipe/timeframe

This response submitted by Kristoph on 5/26/02. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 64.12.96.78

My recipe/time frame is exactly what you were told by your Guru. I use salt for some things in the shop but it doesn't get near my capes or hides that are going into the A.T.er.....

Here is a message I just received from Steve Rotramel.

This response submitted by Todd B on 5/26/02. ( tddbucha@aol.com ) 64.12.96.38

I just asked the same question about salting. I went directly to the source of the guy who makes the auto tanner. Here is the exact message he wrote back to me.

Hey Todd,

Yeah we almost never salt. The reason is that salting collapses the corium fibers and they have to be fully rehydrated before the skin will tan or pickle well. This simply exposes the skin to bacterial and autolysis damage unnecessarily.

Salting is simply short term preservation, which is not needed for this process.

Look for an article in the next Breakthrough that explains this a little further.

Regards, Steve

Interesting Concept

This response submitted by George on 5/26/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.198

The people who built the Titanic said it was unsinkable. I hate to be skeptical on something I'd so woefully lacking knowlege in, but I guess like Bill Yox said once, I don't trust anything where you throw all the ingredients into the oven separately and expect it to come out a wedding cake. I'll stick to the old methods that got me here.

Careful, chewing those brains

This response submitted by BobB on 5/27/02. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.166.190

You old timers, need to be a little more careful, now with this CWD thing. I know you prefer your old methods, but brain tanning really ought to be a lost art - LOL

Keep chewing George!

Return to Tanning Category Menu