What Quality should I expect from a tannery?

Submitted by Kim on 08/01/2002. ( mtnman@ut1.com ) 65.161.239.29

Can someone tell me what is reasonable to expect from a tannery? I've received furs back with ears and feet inside out (and impossible to turn without soaking up again), mountain lions with the foot pads unshaved, fur dirty and full of sawdust...I do most of our tanning myself, and my customers always receive their furs back with ears and feet turned, and nice clean fur. I must send some out to be tanned because we get more business than we can handle ourselves, and I can't seem to find a tannery with the same standards as mine. Is that too much to expect? Can anyone recommend a tannery in the mountain west or west that would get it right the first time, so I wouldn't have to send furs back or redo them myself?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Demand More!

This response submitted by old shaver on 08/02/2002. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 63.172.136.120

The kind of crap you are describing is inexcusable. I shave the paw pads on bobcats. Not shaving a mountain lions pads is just pure slack! It seems that everywhere you look today, someone is starting up a tannery. Litterally probablly 95% of them dont have a clue as to what is going on. You Need to shop around for a tannery with good shavers. Most tans will work if they are shaved right. The kind of product you are describing is litterally hurting the fur dressing industry as a whole.

Try New Method for furs esp.

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 08/02/2002. ( ) 209.193.81.132

I think New Method Fur Dressers in So. San Fransico can not be beat for quality FUR tanning. I have been using them since I was in grade school, I'm now 51; I do not like the tan they do on mule deer capes and antelope capes but on everything else you will not have a complaint. Glacier Tannery in Kalispell Mont. has always done a good job on lions for me; you can not send lion skins into Calif.

Check our website

This response submitted by Gary Kies on 08/03/2002. ( gdkies@dmci.net ) 216.93.92.104

Visit our website and see what some of our customers have to say about our work and our tan. If you have any questions please feel free to call toll free 877-787-3665. We would be happy to work with you, Gary, Diana & Jeff Kies, K & K Tannery

Old Shaver is Right

This response submitted by Young Shaver on 08/03/2002. ( ) 172.141.198.90

Old Shaver is right, don't put up with that kind of crap just because you get it back in two weeks, and don't worry about finding a tannery in your area a little extra shipping does a lot of good sometimes.

Return to Tanning Category Menu