Anybody know a PJ Murphy in NY?

Submitted by Bruce Rittel on 08/08/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.4.156

I'm looking for the address and phone number of this guy. He sells sawdust. Someone told me he is in Illion NY - but there is no such place.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

yes there is

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 08/08/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.7

Its where Ithaca guns are made, in Ilion. I think its just one "L".

You're both half right, lol

This response submitted by Mick on 08/09/2002. ( Mickthetaxidermist@hotmail.com ) 152.163.189.204

I grew up in ILion, NY, and have had my studio there for the past 12 years, until we purchased a new location some 10 mile away this past year.
Bruce, I don't know of any place locally that sells any sawdust, at least anything that would be suitable for tumbling. I could be mistaken, but being the only fulltime taxidermist in a town of 8500 people, it's easy to find out about these things. In any case, I'll check it out, and get to you if I find anything.
Bill, you almost had it right, they do make guns in ILion, but its home to the Remington Arms factory. My dad worked there for years, until retiring a couple of years ago, while my wife works there now. Of course with employee discount benefits for so long, we are a sound Remington family. That is, except for a few Ruger, S&W & Colt thrown in for good measure. Remington always was lacking in their handgun offerings,lol. Anyways, a little FYI, Eliphelet Remington built the first Remington gun in his shop, which was located just 3 miles from the center of town. The Remington Family was well to do, and an influential part of the early history of ILion. In fact, history has it that the town was almost named "Remington", but the family declined this, it appears they were a bit modest too. Pity, it sure would be easier to remember and find on a map. BTW, there may be areas that are better economically, or offer more in the way of entertainment, or perhaps have better weather than ILion,NY, but be that as it may, it's been a real pleasure to grow up in a town that was founded on Firearms, million mom march be dammed.

I'll check here

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 08/09/2002. ( bucksnorts3@hotmail.com ) 66.153.29.93

Hi Bruce,
There's a place 10 min.from me that sells kiln dried sawdust,I believe it is hardwood saw dust, if you want i'll check on it for you.
I've never used it,don't have tumbler yet.

Return to Tanning Category Menu