Horse Tails

Submitted by Susan on 08/09/2002. ( ) 206.10.31.153

Hi,

I have a question on how to treat a salted horse tail.

First, it may help if I try to explain what I am trying to accomplish. I'm trying to make a false tail for horses. It will be a cape type, meaning it has some hide left on the tail that would need to remain pretty stiff. Then some holes are punched in it and it is set over the horse's real tail (the hide is somewhat molded in a half circle to fit nicely on the actual tail) and some of the horse's hair is brought through the holes in the false tail to attach with.
It sits on top of the real tail and so when the horse flicks it's tail, it moves naturally with the real tail and is hard to detect.

What I need to know, is, I have some tails that were salt cured. The hide is real hard. I need to trim off some of the hide, so is that easier done on a dry hide or wet?
How do I soften it just a bit, yet keep it's shape? It needs to be in that C shape to fit against the tail bone. I would like it to last a long time too, so that's why I'm wondering if it needs something more than just the salt treatment. The person I got them from said I should just be able to wet the hide and shape it and it would remain that way when it dried. But I want to preserve it too.
Will it rot or break down as it is?
Thanks so much!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Horse Tails

This response submitted by horse tails on 08/09/2002. ( ) 67.105.221.39

They sell extensions for horses, for the show ring, that are "show ring legal". (they are expensive, moreso than a salted tail) Is your product "show ring legal"? If so I wish you the best of luck; it sounds wonderful. Hopefully the rigid tail-hide wouldn't irritate the horse so much that it would always be switching it's tail, which would detract from your ride and it's show-ring polish.

You would rehydrate the salted tail pelt, and then tan it like any other fur-bearing item. Be careful not to over-flesh, because if you flesh too much, the roots of the tail hairs get cut and they fall out.

I think so

This response submitted by Susan on 08/10/2002. ( ) 206.10.31.124

I think they are legal, the ones I saw were for sale at the App world show, so I assume it's ok, but i havne't actually looked it up in the rule book. But they were selling them for a pretty high price, so I wanted to try and do my own.
Are you in this line of business? The ones I saw being used by friends of mine didn't cause any extra tail movement. The hide area was pretty rigid, so I didn't know if more was done to it besides salting.
I have no experience in tanning at all, so I don't know about how to tan other furbearing hides either.
From what I have looked up, I scape after wetting (but not too much!) and then use the alum and borax or alcohol and turpentine?

Some I have seen have clothe with draw strings.

This response submitted by John C on 08/10/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.54

Appys generally dont have long lush tails even if braided or bagged. The tails I have seen used is other shows have a clothe strip to which the hair is sewn and ties on with a drawstring. Be sure to spook proof the horse before the show with it!

I dont think tanning the leather of the tail will suffice and do what you are looking for. Build a cloth base and sew the hair on in layers. provide a top tir and a bottom tie, this should secure the tail to the horses tail.

I'm probably not describing it very well!

This response submitted by Susan on 08/11/2002. ( ) 206.10.31.72

Thanks for sticking with me on this! I don't think I've described it right. It sounds like you need to get to an Appy show! Most Apps (the ones that place anyway) are Quarterhorses with spots and they do have the long tails, but like all horses, some need more help than others!

I have some extensions sort of like you describe with the plug which the hair is glued into and is braided on with the little horsehair braids. It has to be hair to hair. Any tying to the tailbone itself is illegal. I don't like the way the plug extensions hang though... they tend to get caught between the legs and separate from the real tail so you can plainly see it's a fake.

What I saw being sold at the World show was a tail with the skin on. It has a patch of hide about 4 inches wide X 10 or 12 inches long. The hair is what was naturally growing on the horse. Kind of hidden in the hair are 4 holes about pencil size in diameter. The cape is in a half rounded shape so that it resembles the shape it was in when it was on the tail bone and that's where it will sit. So, for it to keep it's shape, it needs to be just a little rigid, something like saddle leather. But not as hard as this salt hide consistency that it's in.

Would that be do-ableto get it like that? What do I tan it with?

I AGREE WITH THE EVEDENCE

This response submitted by JESSI on 12/17/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.205

I SEE ALL THE PRETTY HORSES, AS I LOOK AT THEIR TAIL, IT HAS STRAIGHT ENDS AND PERFECT SHINE, YOU CAN'T GET A HORSES TAIL APERFECT SHINE OR CLEAR AS WHITE! MY HORSE HAS A SHORT TAIL BUT IT IS GROWING LONGER, I THOUGHT HE HAD A HAIR GROWING PROBLEM, BUT HE DOESN'T, THANK GOD!
WHO EVER SAW A FLUFFY, CLEAR, NOT FREE TAIL THAT BURNS YOU EYE S LIKE THE SUN IF YOU LOOK AT IT.... EXACLY HORSE TAILS ARE JUST AN EXCUSE OF BAD JUGEMENT OF THEIR TAILS, WHO CARES WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE, ITS NOT OURS, IT THE HORSES, SO IF YOU GET A FAKE TAIL, IT'S LIKE SAYING TAKING AWAY A HORSES LEGS, ITS NATURAL DEAL WITH IT!

I AGREE WITH THE EVEDENCE

This response submitted by JESSI on 12/17/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.205

I SEE ALL THE PRETTY HORSES, AS I LOOK AT THEIR TAIL, IT HAS STRAIGHT ENDS AND PERFECT SHINE, YOU CAN'T GET A HORSES TAIL APERFECT SHINE OR CLEAR AS WHITE! MY HORSE HAS A SHORT TAIL BUT IT IS GROWING LONGER, I THOUGHT HE HAD A HAIR GROWING PROBLEM, BUT HE DOESN'T, THANK GOD!
WHO EVER SAW A FLUFFY, CLEAR, NOT FREE TAIL THAT BURNS YOU EYE S LIKE THE SUN IF YOU LOOK AT IT.... EXACLY HORSE TAILS ARE JUST AN EXCUSE OF BAD JUGEMENT OF THEIR TAILS, WHO CARES WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE, ITS NOT OURS, IT THE HORSES, SO IF YOU GET A FAKE TAIL, IT'S LIKE SAYING TAKING AWAY A HORSES LEGS, ITS NATURAL DEAL WITH IT!

YOU GOT IT SISTER

This response submitted by ED, JESSI'S HORSE on 12/17/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.205

HEY, LEAVE OUR TAILS ALONE, THATS DISCUSTING HAVING A FAKE TAIL ON MY BODY! ITS MY TAIL NOT YOURE OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES JESSI, IF YOU WERE A HORSE I WOULD GLUE A PERSONS OTHER LEG TO YOURS! THATS HOW I FEEL, THANKS JESSI! YOU PROBLEY WONDER HOW I CAN TYPE, WELL I TOOK LESONS! THANK YOU JESSI, YOUR SO KIND,

WHAT EVER, I AGREE WITH THE LOOKS

This response submitted by ELIZA on 12/17/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.205

I ONCE SAW A HORSE AT THE POA CLUB SHOWS, SHE LOOK SO STUPID, SHE WAS GRAY WITH WHITE SPOTS, I THINK SHE WENT IN SHOWMENSHIP AND HALTER, SHE ALSO HAD BROWN ON HER LEGS, WHO COULD THIS REDICULAS HORSE BE, I THINK SHE WAS 2 OR SOMETHING, BUT THEIR WAS ANOTHER HORSE WHO HAD SPOTS AND WAS A LEAPORD, HE WAS 1 OR 2, HE WASN'T GOOD IN CLASSES BUT HE WAS SO PRETTY! THEY CALLED HE SOMETHING, HE WAS A POA, IF YOU KNOW HIM TELL ME!

WHAT EVER AND BACK

i MEANT BROWN SPOTS, I THINK HER NAME WAS CLODER OR QUOTER OR SOMETHING, AND THE OTHER I THINK WAS EXEQUITE DREDS?

WHAT EVER

IM KIDDING, THOSE HORSES I SAW WERE BEAUTIFUL

HAy YA

This response submitted by Nana on 02/12/2003. ( ) 206.58.38.209

Ya i agree those horses were sexy and hot! i love the way they had there penuses.

Return to Tanning Category Menu