How do you tann out an mammal? I ont wannabuy a book!

Submitted by Curtis on 08/16/2002. ( bighunter90@juno.com ) 64.12.96.198

I want to tan out a fox hide. I have ideas on how to do it, but I would like any info on how to do the tan. Is there anyway you can tan a hide with out the tanning formual? You can e-mail me my e-mail address is:
Bighunter90@Juno.com
It would help if you e-mail me, or post it on the website thanks a ton!
Curtis

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Formulas are everywhere

This response submitted by PA on 08/16/2002. ( ) 151.201.62.1

Perhaps you don't wish to think that there are not formulas involved, but everything you do involves a formula - heck you have formulated the idea of how figure out how to NOT use a formula.

Tanning must use formulas to be done correctly. Assuming that your fox was captured in an environment containing roughly 78% Nitrogen, 18% Oxygen, 3% Carbon Dioxide, and various trace elements, the first step would be to skin the animal with a Ferric-Carbon material, perhaps with other elements like molybdenum, chromium, etc. Then it could be placed on a hardened cellulose platform covered with a derivative of lignin based products simulated from botanical material, and apply sodium chloride in the dry state, tilting the hide in a Mathematical formulated incline of say 15-25 degrees from the horizon. Then, you could purchase any number of Pickling acids or sulfphates which would begin the chemical breakdown of the hide material and effect the resultant formula of the hide itself. Then ... Cur you can finish.

Curtis - go the www.AmysTaxidermy.com There, on a web site written by a 14 year old, are the basic steps on tanning. Or you can search the archives. But that also would take a formula. Step 1 - Take the icon and click on search 2) type in tanning 3) read for the next three hours all the material held on this site. Pay special attention to posts by Bruce Rittle.

LMFAO!

This response submitted by Joel on 08/16/2002. ( b13joel@hotmail.com ) 63.231.208.17

Curtis, like it was said see Amy's site, and buy a book!

Tanning button on the left.

This response submitted by John C on 08/16/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.31

research the archives at the bottom of the tanning button.

ask cur

This response submitted by redneck on 08/16/2002. ( Idlewild@minot.com ) 12.158.192.7

ask cur he gave me a simple tanning solution easy to use
or e mail me i might be able to give it to yas LL YOU NEED IS ALUM
they sell it in grocery stores in the spices sectioon pick up 2 little containers then ask me or cur ps alum is pretty cheap

ps

This response submitted by redneck on 08/16/2002. ( Idlewild@minot.com ) 12.158.192.7

you will also need neats foot oil dpwny fabric softener and 20 mule team borox

Return to Tanning Category Menu