i am using Rittels ez 100 tanning kit do i have to use Rittel washer
and supper solvent if i do not ex plain what i should do to degrease
and wash my furs

please help
thank u
james

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Are your skins greasy?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 08/17/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.4.101

If you are tanning greasy or oily skins - then you should somehow degrease them, either using our Super Solvent Degreaser or Odorless Mineral Spirits. However - if you are simply tanning WT Deer, or Squirrel skins, there's no need to degrease. What kind of skins are you tanning? That makes a big difference.

raccoon

This response submitted by james on 08/17/2002. ( rebelsolger@yahoo.com ) 66.157.73.84

raccoon

Thanks.........

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 08/17/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.10.82

Go to your local hardware store and buy 1-2 gallons of "Paint Brush Cleaner" (or at least thats what they call it here. Look on the side of the can and it should say "Contains - Odorless Mineral Spirits". If it says only Mineral Spirits - keep looking.

After your skins are pickled well - remove them and allow them to drain for 30 minutes and then soak them in the above Odorless Mineral Spirits for 1-2 hours. Use the OMS pure - nothing added. Your skins will be safe. All the grease from the skins will come out and go to the bottom. Then - remove them, wash them with a dilute Dawn dishwashing soap solution - rinse well until the rinse water runs clear - and then put them back into the pickle at least overnight or until you are then ready to neutralize and tan them.

Dont throw away the OMS! It can be used over and over. I usually set it aside after I've used it, add some water which will go to the bottom, and allow the junk to sink to the bottom. In AK we put it outdoors and let the bottom water portion freeze and then poured off the top OMS to use again - but if its not cold enough simply pour it off and when you only have water and junk - dump that portion.

Return to Tanning Category Menu