what to do with bear skin taned with ez100

Submitted by bruce on 09/17/2002. ( mmc2cb@aol.com ) 64.12.96.198

this is my second tanning effort tanned it with ez100 fleshed it the best i could don't have a shaveing machine the directions said for taxidermy use apply the oil and freeze which i did can i thaw it out dry it then sand it down thin.and if so how do you rehydrate it to mount it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

<--------------- <-------------- <--------------

This response submitted by jason on 09/17/2002. ( ) 216.88.251.44

Look to your left hit the middle of the 3 egg shape buttons called search and type in rehydrating. Good luck.

Later Jason

Yes.......But!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 09/18/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.6.153

Yes - you can thaw it, then let it dry and sand it thinner, then rehydrate it. However, I hope that after applying the oil, you either let it lay, or folded it to soak up the oil for 3-4 hours "Before" you froze it. Otherwise, it may have not soaked up much of the oil, and you may have to re-oil it after you rehydrate.

Here's how to safely rehydrate it when you're ready.

Rittel"s
Rittel"S TANNING SUPPLIES
51 SUMMER STREET
TAUNTON, MA 02780
(508) 822-3821
FAX: (508) 828-3921
E-MAIL: Rittel@mindspring.com

UNIVERSAL TANNED CAPE OR LIFESIZE SKIN RELAXING METHOD

This method is called the Universal method because it works on almost every tanned skin or cape safely. It takes the guesswork out of properly relaxing a skin or cape before mounting, but more importantly, it also prevents acid swelling. Bacteriacide is not needed for this method.

1. Soak the tanned skin or cape for 30 minutes in a mild salt solution using:
To every 1 Gallon of Water used, add a
Handful of Salt (4 Ozs. by weight).
2. Remove the skin or cape from the solution soaking wet, and place it in a plastic garbage bag. Use a tie to twist it shut, and then refrigerate it overnight. Do not freeze.
3. The next day, remove the skin or cape, and prep it before mounting.

Return to Tanning Category Menu