Sanding capes

Submitted by Tim on 09/28/2002. ( BlackTimber@attbi.com ) 12.254.200.157

How do you sand capes. I take it that this method is used to thin the skin or "Shave" it in other words.
I am interested in this method since I do not have a shaver and am trying to figure out the whole tanning process here. Before I try to tan a hide ready to mount.
Any other ideas on how to thin or shave the cape?

Thanx, Tim.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Cheap way

This response submitted by gotum on 09/29/2002. ( ) 216.127.204.56

Make a plywood wheel and coat it with elmers and sand keep building it up then let it dry mount the whell on an arbor and make a tasble with a hole so the wheel sits up a bit above the table and sand away.

It can be done - but............

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 09/29/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.2.171

Yes - you can sand the dry skins thinner using a Drum Sander (or Buffer as it is called in the industry) - but it's considered very slow and you will find yourself putting a lot of time into it. In Tanneries they use buffing machines to sand the skins - but only to improve the esthetic look of the leather side. They try to sand it to a smooth suede look. Thinning is not their purpose - just trying to make it look esthetically pleasing.

Return to Tanning Category Menu