just salted

Submitted by McDonald on 10/06/2002. ( sbmcdonald@prodigy.net ) 66.166.168.100

Im tanning my first deer skin. however I got the deer sooner than I thought. I salted the skin but I don't have the tanning supplies yet. should I just leave it as is or should I shake the salt off and freeze it? I won't have the supplies for at least a week. please help

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Salted

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/06/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Mcdonald;
You need to salt it twice. After the second time there's no need to freeze it. It will be rock hard, and the hair will be set.have you split the lips, turned the ears, and the eyes. There'ws no need to rush anything once the cape has been salted. Good luck with your deer head.
Coyote

Well, maybe not that quick

This response submitted by CHUCK on 10/06/2002. ( Chuckcnctaxi@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

Yes ,you should salt it twice but it won't be rock hard in two days ,it takes a week or so.Make sure you do the other things though.Split the lips ,eyes,nose,and turn the ears.Make sure all of the fat and meat are peeled off after the first salting ,it firms it all up so you can do so.elevate one end so the fluids will run off.I generally store my hides dry salted when I can -it saves room in the freezer

Chuck

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/06/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Chuck;
Who sid anything about two days.

Coyote

whoops !

This response submitted by CHUCK(red faced) on 10/06/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.79

Sorry,I read it too quickly and thought I saw "after the second day..." instead of "after the second salting" -its been a rough weekend.

Chuck

This response submitted by Coyote on 10/07/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

Chuck;
LOL.... Not a problem, we've all been there.

where can i buy either potash alum or amonium alum

This response submitted by Jodie on 10/21/2002. ( mrs_railman@hotmail.com ) 63.184.161.131

where can i buy amonium alum or potash alum to tan a deer hide. I also need to know where i can buy hydrated lime to remove the hair from the hide unless there is an alternative to the lime solution.

Return to Tanning Category Menu