Will somebody fill in the holes for me?

Submitted by Jared on 10/16/2002. ( ) 65.173.5.183

I have been following along for a while and looking at different methods, but I have a couple of questions...Yes they are probabably the same old questions, but 30 seconds of your time would make my day!

very, very generalized procedures
1 flesh hide
2 salt hide
3 pickle hide
4 shave hide
5 tan hide

my question is this, do you have to shave a hide if it is going to be a rug. The other question I have is the tanning. I thought pickling the hide was tanning it. Some of the stuff I have read says that pickling then breaking and oiling are the last steps. On here, everybody talks about aplying some sort of tanning solution to the hide post pickle. FYI, I am going to be using an Alum based pickle. So what am I missing here?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Forget all the varieing things you have heard or read.

This response submitted by John C on 10/16/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.47

You have the correct procedure down.

Yes you must flesh all hides.

The pickle is used to help plump the hide, swell it up it does a varity of thing to help the hide accept the tanning agents.

Many people will use a prepickle oil. I don't.

Rittels has some very good books on tanning. Tanning is also covered in the Breakthrough taxidermy manuals. and proper secquence is listed also.

Try this

This response submitted by Wayne S. on 10/16/2002. ( hbtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 207.144.129.98

1. skin the animal
2. turn eyes, ears, lips, nose
3. Get all big chunks of meat off
4. flesh skin well
5. salt, hang for 24 hours
6. shake off old salt, resalt
7. let skin dry out
8. rehydrate in salt solution with bacteriaside
9. rinse and put in pickle solution with Ph of 1.5 to 2.0 for 24 to 48 hours.
10. Take out of pickle, drain, and shave hide
11.put back in pickle solution, watching PH for 12 to 24 hours
12. remove hide from pickle, neutralize and rinse. let drain
13. mix tanning solution,Ph 3.5 to 4.0 in warm water(Lutan F method)
14. add cape, keep in tanning solution for 24 to 48 hours depending on what type of skin you are tanning.Rinse,drain, apply oil,fold,let sit overnight.Skin is ready to mount.

Get one of our technical books for this

This response submitted by mark on 10/17/2002. ( mark@knoblochs.com ) 66.134.117.169

Our technial handbooks have this info in it. They are free to all
get us your physical mail address and we will be glad to send one out today. Their great to have around

Mark

mark@Knoblochs.com

Thank you Wayne S

This response submitted by Jared on 10/17/2002. ( ) 65.173.5.183

That information will help out greatly. I will research each step on here, pick what methods I think are best and research them here through the archives and elsewhere. Again, thanks for your time, because you have saved me lots of it!

Return to Tanning Category Menu