deer hide preparation

Submitted by Bernie on 10/20/2002. ( ) 24.162.240.103

How long can a deer hide be stored in the refridgerator or cooler before the hair will start to slip? I plan to tan with the hair on.
Should I put in the freezer instead?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Better yet.........Salt it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/20/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.1.195

Refrigerating it is the worst thing to do to it! It will only slow down bacterial growth! Yes - it could be frozen and kept indefinitely - providing you bag it to keep moisture around it to prevent "freezer-burn" - but the best way is to simply flesh the skin, and apply salt. Then fold the skin like a bath towel, and place it on a piece of plywood, with a a support under 1 edge so its slanted and the fluids drain away. Leave it there for 1-2 days, shake out the old salt and reapply a new layer. Again - leave it folded there for another 1-2 days, then shake out and hang it to dry.

Once dry - and kept dry - it can safely be kept for several months or until you want to begin your tanning process.

thanks

This response submitted by bernie on 10/20/2002. ( ) 24.162.240.103

Bruce
Thanks! It stayed in the fridge for 3 days. It is now in the freezer, in a plastic bag. It will there for about a week, hopefully I won't have any problems!
Bernie

Return to Tanning Category Menu