Alum tanning help

Submitted by Dan on 10/19/2002. ( ) 216.193.165.105

Hello, i recently alum tanned 3 hair off dear hides, oiled and softened them, and they are butter soft wonderful hides( and a nice white also). it was a solution of salt, alum,and the works. Now iam reading on here that alum is not a tan and it will dry rot my hides or make them real weak and not durable or something. any light to this subject would be much appreciated thanks a million.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Hear say, Alum had been around longer than any of us.

This response submitted by John C on 10/19/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.20

Its a very old tanning method that works. I know a lot of solid older taxidermy firms that still use. Now ponder this, if its really as bad as stated, how come its still a popular method and chemicals are still available?

Now also this is not saying its the best method or that there are not better chemicals available, but its still a good method anyone can learn and faily inexpensive too.

I still use it some. Plus it will set the hair when nothing else will.

Don't change what you did, but give other chemicals a fair and square shake, try them and see if you like them better.

Whats funny is someof the newer tanners and taxidermist think that Lutan-F is new, nope it was developed by the NAZI'S in WWII and is Aluminum Chloride based, ya been rubbing that under your arms for years!

Stick with what works for you.

Top tan and mainstay of the tanning industry?

This response submitted by k field on 10/20/2002. ( kimfield@xtra.co.nz ) 210.54.247.221

nothing wrong with alum.Alot of other tanning products use it as there base and add extra oils,sofeners and what ever else.Alum does need to be watched when used on furs with soft colour pigmentation.
When used for taxidermy/oil,tumble and you will find you will have all the stretch needed for mounting.

Top tan and mainstay of the tanning industry?

This response submitted by k field on 10/20/2002. ( kimfield@xtra.co.nz ) 210.54.247.221

nothing wrong with alum.Alot of other tanning products use it as there base and add extra oils,sofeners and what ever else.Alum does need to be watched when used on furs with soft colour pigmentation.
When used for taxidermy/oil,tumble and you will find you will have all the stretch needed for mounting.

Lutan FN Information

This response submitted by Dave Crookall, SENTRY/Chemical Products Div. on 10/22/2002. ( sentry@ptd.net ) 204.186.210.139

Dan, send us an e-mail or call us at 1-800-868-1454 and we'll send you the latest information on LUTAN FN for use on fur skins and taxidermy tan products.

This same information is available to all suppliers of taxidermy chemicals.

alum tanning

This response submitted by Dale on 12/28/2002. ( jackpineranch@aol.com ) 64.12.96.102

I am in the process of tanning my first buck skins. I have salted,scraped,slipped the hair off using a lime solution, rinsed and resalted. Planned on using a salt and alum tan but I am confused. There are so many differen definitions for alum. potash alum,amonium alum, ect. Some of my reading tell me that I can simply use aluminum sulphate for alum. Is this ok? and I would welcome a good tanning solution for aluminum sulphate.
thank you
Dale

jackpineranch@aol.com

This response submitted by Leon on 12/31/2002. ( leonandpatford@aol.com ) 198.81.26.240

Dale, Check out http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_1/1-103.html
the title will be 'Tanning Deer Hides and Small Fur Skins'
this will give you all you need for your project. I have used the alum method on rabbit furs with great success.
Leon

Return to Tanning Category Menu