Generalized info needed ASAP

Submitted by Brian on 10/15/2002. ( ) 65.173.5.183

I have been searching through the archives and have run onto some stuff that the book I bought doesn't even mention. I was planning on doing a Salt/Alum tan on a whitetail hide. But there seems to be a step between the salting and tanning that I have missed. My book says nothing about Pickling. Could someone just give the order in which that tanning proscess follows?. If I knew the steps I could search the archives and find the best method for each step. But for now I am getting confused. I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

How about this...

This response submitted by Paul on 10/15/2002. ( Paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.85.39.7

Before salting, a must, you have to flesh off all red meat and fat. Than double salt, 48 hours, hang to dry hard to lock in hairs, than rehydrate hide before pickling. Acid pickle for 3 days, shave, degreese if needed, return to pickle for an additonal 24 hours, neutralize hide from the acid, than proceed to tanning. After tanning you must oil hide, unless you use liquid tan. If you want a soft hide you can reoil and must break the hide or you will have a hide as hard as cardboard. If I home tan I use EZ100 by Rittels or Liquid Tan by Knoblochs, Still confused, (LOL)...Paul

Thanks, but is Shaving neccessary on a hide?

This response submitted by Brian on 10/15/2002. ( ) 65.173.5.183

I am just going to be doing hides and not messing with capes right now. Is it necessary to shave? The only thing I am looking for is a consistant soft, tan that will last. Consistentency on the skin side isn't important to me unless it effects the longevity of the hide.What do you think?

Return to Tanning Category Menu