vegetable tan turned black

Submitted by branner on 10/28/2002. ( kilpatrick_descend@irishnation.com ) 24.53.128.171

I was vegetable tanning a squirrel hide recently. fleshed it, cured it, and put it in a weak tannin bath for about 3 days, and then a generously stronger one for 5 more days. When it took it out and let it dry it turned a very dark brown to black color. i have not oiled or broken the skin yet just wondering if this is normal, if not what i did wrong. Also when fleshing i got the meat off easily but was having some trouble with membrane right next to the skin any help on how to get that off. Thanks alot for your help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

?

This response submitted by b. bishop on 10/29/2002. ( bishops@newnorthnet ) 209.83.43.149

at any time did the solution or hide touch metal ? or perhaps the tanning vessel was metal? vegetable tans reacte with any metal and go black. What was the tanning agent ? oak bark, hemlock bark, qubracho ?

You probably.....................

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/29/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.4.153

Even with low amounts of iron in your local water - they sometimes turn grey. Most Veg tanners use a chelating agent to remove the iron before tanning. But turning black definitely indicates your skins have been exposed to iron - whether in your water or another source.

tanning agent

This response submitted by branner on 10/29/2002. ( kilpatrick_descend@irishnation.com ) 24.53.128.171

i used oak bark and oak wood for the tanning agent. also it turned black after it dried out if that tells you anything. thanks again.

Return to Tanning Category Menu