Technical question about re-hydration /pickle question

Submitted by Scott on 11/15/2002. ( NoSpamForMe@Thanks.com ) 159.53.238.242

The other day someone asked me;
ěWhy don"t you just re-hydrate the right in the pickleî

I have to admit I have wondered that same thing before.
But, have never had the courage to test it out.
I imagine that is going to cause the cells to rupture.

It"s been bugging me so much that I have set aside 2 white tail back hides, just to try this out with.
I"m going to:
Salt dry rock hard, then go straight to the pickle
Pickle with safety acid, and Tan in EZ-100.

So the questions are:
What is going happen to those hides, and why?
Bruce?
Bruce?
Anyone?
Anyone?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

it will take longer

This response submitted by John W. on 11/15/2002. ( ) 64.109.12.71

Scott, you can rehydrate in the pickle , the hide will just take longer to relax.

W, is right it does take a little longer

This response submitted by John C on 11/15/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.105

I do hides both ways. depends on whats going on. When you rehyderate in the pickle, dont drop the pH under 2, as some hides will not soak the pickle up. Nder 3 but over 2, you will need to watch the pH very close, ever 2 hours for the first day.

I do not consider it a good idea!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/15/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.7.103

When you introduce the skin or cape to the pickle - you want the fibers as relaxed and open as possible and ready to accept the Acid and Salt solution. If they arent - then depending on how old the piece is, and how it was dried, it may or may not pickle and swell slightly so that shaving is easier. And yes, on freshly salted and dried skins or capes it may take a while to rehydrate - but sometimes they lack that plumpness thats desirable for shaving. And on older dried skins or capes - they may never relax and plump for shaving.

My advice is to ALWAYS relax first. Dont relax them in the pickle. Prepare them for the pickling solution. That way you dont have to second-guess whether its a fairly newly salted and dried - or that its an older piece. Why wait for it to relax in the pickle for 6-7 days? Relax it first and then thoroughly pickle it in 3-4 days! Make sure you always get a good shave out of the piece!

Thanks

This response submitted by scott on 11/18/2002. ( ) 159.53.32.46

Ok, Thanks to everyone.
Basically what I hear is:
A: It will Work.
B: It will take much longer to re-hydrate so there is no time saving.
(Which is what I"m always looking for.)
C: Why screw with something that works.

I"m still going to do my own test. But it won"t be until spring.
Deer are coming in fast furious these days. No time for play.

Scott

Return to Tanning Category Menu