The Hair Fell Out

Submitted by Jake on 11/16/2002. ( snake79798@aol.com ) 64.12.96.198

I followed the directions for pickling (1 oz saftee acid, 1lb salt, for each gallon of water). Put the deer hide in the solution for 4 days, stirring 2 or 3 times a day. I checked the ph and never had it go over 2, then neutrilized the cape in baking soda for 1/2 hour. I hung the cape up to drain for about 4 hours and was going to use Liquid Tan on it. I laid it out on my work table and for the heck of it pulled on the hair a few times and you guessed it I pulled big chunks of hair right out. Did I do anything wrong, or could this cape been spoiled before I started this process? I have a small bear I was going to Pickel, but I am afraid to lose it. Please advise. I have used DP forever and everyone said I should start to tan so I did and this is what happened.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Likely a Bad Hide

This response submitted by PatrickR on 11/16/2002. ( don't need a virus @home.com ) 12.220.113.230

Jake- I've used Rittels Saftee Acid before on WT deer and have had absolutely no problems. It worked great on a grey fox hide. I did follow the instructions to the letter, though. It's great stuff. The likely problem was a bad hide. Any suggestions, Bruce? PatrickR

jake

This response submitted by wilson on 11/16/2002. ( ) 198.81.26.172

bet you didnt salt and dry it first.

Or the salt tables did not have a slant to it.

This response submitted by John C on 11/17/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.63

All the above, I have satled capes that were turning green, had them on a slanted slat table and they were fine.

What tempature did you start at. that has a lot to do with it.

NONE here can say for sure what went wrong its all just a guess.

Just because something works once

This response submitted by concerned on 11/30/2002. ( ) 198.164.251.44

I think you should have neutralized for longer than 1/2 hour. Did you check the Ph after you neutralized . Perhaps you let it hang too long after neutralization. Next time try these things and you may get better results.

Return to Tanning Category Menu