fleshing knife

Submitted by Nick on 11/18/2002. ( ) 216.127.202.158

I just got a 12" fleshing knife today, and I was wondering how sharp is this thing sopposed to be? It has an edge on it, but it's not sharp. Am I supposed to hone an edge on this thing or what?

Nick

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Hone it razor sharp.

This response submitted by John C on 11/18/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.109

Once you have it sharp, turn the edge under. this will take a bit of work. Keeping a lot of oil on a large round screw driver and the knife, knife in a vise, roll the edge over, make a lip. This lip will let you push the meat and thin the hide incredably quick. Push away from you down the bench.

John and I differ again

This response submitted by George on 11/18/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.7

Rick Morgan of Carolina told me to hone it to the sharpness of butter knife. If you use a fleshing beam, that's more than sufficient to separate the meat from the skin. A sharp knife chances cutting the hide, especially for someone new to the game.

Not wanting to take side's

This response submitted by Oddball on 11/18/2002. ( ) 209.226.100.113

We all have our way's of using knife's, but Geo is right.
I have a beautiful "dull" blade for all my quick flesh
job's.

thanks guys

This response submitted by Nick on 11/18/2002. ( ) 216.127.202.50

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Dull is better

This response submitted by Russell on 11/21/2002. ( ) 168.30.238.184

It has been my experience tha a sharp knife will only cut into and scar your hide a dull edge works great but will take some elbow grease!

Dull is slow but reliable, Sharp is tedius but rewarding!

This response submitted by Jessica on 12/02/2002. ( ) 24.247.40.116

Check your silverware drawer! I found a verrrrrrrrry sharp and pointy serrated (steak?) knife, wore leather gloves for protection, and, using two hands, curved the blade while holding it almost flat against the skin.... working the knife in a downward and counter-clockwise motion, putting just enough pressure on the skin for the serated points to catch the unwanted muscle/membrane fibers. This worked extremely well! I can't believe people actually buy 'fleshing tools'.... Go to a thrift store and check the knife selection for more options...

One word of warning: don't dig too deep; it's real easy to scrape too deep with such a knife, and the smooth-skin feel is gone, leaving a rough feel. With such a sharp knife, it may make for a tedious job, but considering the financial gains and thoroughness of my 'tool', I have no intention of support the fleshing tool market. :) Good luck.

Return to Tanning Category Menu