Neutralizing Saftee Acid

Submitted by Russell on 11/11/2002. ( averytaxidermy@mindspring.com ) 165.247.131.113

There seems to be some conflict on how much baking soda to use to neutralize saftee acid. Everyone agrees that you use 1 oz per gallon of water for 20 minutes, but some say 1 oz. is 3 tablespoons, others say 2 tablespoons, others say 1 tablespoons. Which is it?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

A search...

This response submitted by Patrick on 11/11/2002. ( don't need a virus @home.com ) 12.220.113.230

According to a search I just did on Google, 1 oz equals 2 tablespoons...

Why don't you check the pH?

This response submitted by George on 11/11/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.199

There are a lot of variables in this as the hide MIGHT be acidic also. No matter the recipe, if you use the proper pH meter or paper, you'll know exactly how much to add.

Didn't know you could put too much in

This response submitted by Joe on 11/12/2002. ( info@mjtaxidermy.com ) 208.16.254.56

Well I had know idea you could put too much in I usually just pour some in till I think it's good, never had a problem.If anyone knows if too much is a bad thing let me know.too much baking soda to neutralize that is.

"Not enough" is a problem!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/13/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.11.205

The standard recipe is 1 Ounce (by weight) to each 1 gallon of Water. You want enough in there to neutralize the Acid in the skins - too little, and you only get a partial neutralization. Too much is wasteful. Checking the PH is good but too much or even a little bit will read at or around a 7.9 PH. Weigh out 1 oz. of Baking Soda and then scoop it away using a measured tablespoon. In the future then you can use this tablespoon measurement to treat your pickled skins. In liquids - 2 Tablespoons equals 1 Oz. - but when dealing with powders, some are very dense and heavy and that rule does not apply.

Return to Tanning Category Menu