oil question

Submitted by bj on 11/21/2002. ( ) 208.149.44.234

i use WASCOs soft tan tanning oil i am thinkin of getting protal oil from Van Dyke,s. i was just wanting to now if any body has used this and how well it works. all of my tanning if for wall hannings or rugs i dont do mounts yet. any help would be great thanks.

BJ

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Protal

This response submitted by Dan Moon on 11/21/2002. ( dan.moon@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Protal oil is a very good oil, I have used it in on mounts and rugs and wall hangings and have no complaints about it at all. I have never used the WASCO soft tanning oil so I cannot say one is better than the other, but if you are not happy with it it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

WASCO Tanning Oil

This response submitted by Steve on 11/21/2002. ( sprice@nebonet.com ) 208.187.76.207

I've tried both, protal and WASCO oil. They are both good oils but I like WASCO soft tanning oil better. It leaves the hide softer and with more stretch. (In my opinion.)

it's kinda bad

This response submitted by - on 11/23/2002. ( ) 207.88.126.216

I use Lutan-F only - your mileage may vary.

Protal sucks compared to Pro-Plus or WASCO's oil. You have to apply like 3 coats and it gets into the fur, staining it yellow until re-washed out (and because it is water soluble, you wash out some of the oil in the leather, too).

I find that WASCO's oil smells the worst at first, but works the best (i.e. least hassle, no overgreasiness, best stretch). Pro-Plus (Van Dyke's stuff, kinda orange color) smells good, nice and thick, works well for skins as well. If you are only oiling one pelt at a time, in a well ventilated area, use the WASCO stuff. If you are oiling 20 skins at a time in your house, use Pro-Plus and a fan to ventilate the area. Both oils work well with just one good goopy coat. Hope that helped.

The only drawback about Pro-Plus is that it is so penetrating/works very well, so that it will make your pelts greasy again, necessitating a re-washing after the leather is dry. At least it doesn't reek of petrochemicals though.

Return to Tanning Category Menu