rot

Submitted by john on 11/27/2002. ( ) 68.96.1.4

Has any one ever heard of acid rot,a guy I talked to a few days ago,said last here his taxidermist lost his cape because of acid rot,any ideas?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Rot?

This response submitted by CapeFear on 11/27/2002. ( CFTaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 66.56.152.146

I've never heard of acid rot before, but it is possible to acid burn a hide or cape.

More than likely..............!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/27/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.138.254

More than likely he was referring to what happens when a skin or cape is tanned and it is left very acidic. This is particularly true with guys who simply pickle their skins in acid, neutralize and oil instead of taking them to tanning and finishing them off at the higher PH.If you store such a skin or cape, the acid (usually Sulphuric) draws atmospheric moisture, recombines to form Sulphuric Acid and attacks the skin. It weakens the bonds between the fibers and it progresses until you can tear the skin like a piece of paper! It literally breaks it down. If you look closely at old (10-14 years old) fur coats - you will see that the seams are falling apart due to this "weakening" process!

I have heard it called that before.

This response submitted by Todd B on 11/28/2002. ( tddbuch@aol.com ) 205.188.209.12

It is the same as what Bruce explained. I had a raccoon to do a rug with. I rehydrated it and it pretty much fell apart like wet paper. The legs came off and it was all around weak.

Return to Tanning Category Menu