Please give me help on tanning

Submitted by Sam on 11/27/2002. ( thenuge15@hotmail.com ) 24.247.105.220

I am very new to taxidermy. I was wondering why would you want a wet tan and why a dry one? Also i ordered the curatan kit from Van Dykes and i don't like having to stretch the hide to make it tan(the chipmunks hides rip) I also tanned a squirrle hide with this and it smelled so i threw it out ( What could have went wrong). I would like to buy different type of tanning supplies i am going to be making rugs and mounts and i do not want to have to stretch all of the rugs (I know i might have to on the mounts) I also only use these steps flesh,salt,pickle,neutralize,tan is there anything else i should do? Why would i need to test the ph? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Does anybody know if i call Van Dykes is there someone who can give me advice or is their just the ladies who take the order. Thanks -Sam

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Sam

This response submitted by CapeFear on 11/27/2002. ( CFTaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 66.56.152.146

I wet tan all my hides and capes, it's just what works for me. Your methods sound good except you let out an important step that is shaving the hide thin, this is where you'll get your stretch back. Checking your PH is probably the most important step in obtaining a proper pickle/tan. This might be why your squirrel might have stunk, bacteria growth! You need to maintain a PH of no more than 2 while your hides are in the pickle, to prohibit bacteria from surviving. Good luck and don't give up!

Call Van Dykes!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/27/2002. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.138.254

Call Dan Moon at Van Dykes. He'll gladly help you out! Dont be shy - they provide good customer assistance!

As for your method - I'm not sure - but you never mentioned "drying" your skins to set the fur tight before beginning the tanning process. You said you fleshed, salted, pickled - but maybe you might include Fleshed, salted, dry, then rehydrate and pickle!

As for avoiding "stretching" the finished tanned skins! It's all part of the process - you have to do it to soften them - unless you do like the Tanneries do and build yourself a 6' X 4' wide Tumbling Drum to do the work for you!

Hide Tumbler

This response submitted by Joe Holland on 11/28/2002. ( ) 151.169.1.28

I am still new to the tanning hobby and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has plans for building a hide tumbler that would be big enough to handle a moose hide. My ideal design would be one that could be built with common items from the hardware store. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hide Tumbler

This response submitted by Joe Holland on 11/28/2002. ( ) 151.169.1.28

I am still new to the tanning hobby and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has plans for building a hide tumbler that would be big enough to handle a moose hide. My ideal design would be one that could be built with common items from the hardware store. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu