How Do you clean a sheep skin?

Submitted by Mike Myrick on 01/04/2003. ( myrick@dashlink.com ) 66.143.190.187

I had a guy bring a tanned sheep skin rug in to get dog urine out of it! I guess it was trying to mark its territory. Anyway, I told him I had never cleaned an already tanned sheep skin before, but that I would try and find out how I could. So, I need suggestions on what to use and how much to charge this guy.
Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Warm water and soap

This response submitted by George on 01/05/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.170

Spin dry it as much as possible and then lay it out to dry. That's WARM water though, not hot.

Cleaning sheepskin

This response submitted by Rickettchade wabitt on 01/05/2003. ( ) 206.215.229.164

beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh beh very carefully

Tumbler with solvent

This response submitted by Foggy on 01/05/2003. ( foggy7@excite.com ) 65.103.226.250

I have never tried sheepskins but I have cleaned other hides by tumbling. I have a neighbor who has a mink farm and has a large tumbler. He adds a solvent to the grit that leaves the hair shiny and clean. You may have to spend some time with an air compressor to remove the grit but it may be worth a try. I wouldn't put a lot of time into it though. Sheepskin is cheap.

Return to Tanning Category Menu