EZ 100 Tan

Submitted by Jay on 01/06/2003. ( jj78629@Yahoo.com ) 63.125.71.168

Can anyone tell me, if EZ 100 tan drops the ph of the water by itself, or do you have to use saftey acid or baking soda to bring the ph up or down? My water is real alkaline. I mixed up 2 batch's yesterday and couldn't get the ph to 4.0. It started at 6.0 then droped to 3.0 then back to 6.0 with the saftey acid and baking soda. I was using tan that is 5 years old. Can anyone help? Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Baking soda nuetralized the acid.

This response submitted by John C on 01/06/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.109

Basic chemistry, you neutrailzed it by mixing. Acids drop the ph, alkalines raise the pH, even in alkaline water.

The water I use will leave calcium deposits in the dogs water bowls. It is a 8.4 on average, our water company even adds acid to bring it down to a usable pH.

I dont have any problem dropping the ph down to 1.5, it just takes more acid. So to drop the tan to 4.0 for the tanning chemical to work is not a problem.
But you must give it time to stabilize usually overnite, be fore adding the hides. Then keep a check on it during the day, you may find more acid is needed because of the salt in the hide.

Baking soda nuetralized the acid.

This response submitted by John C on 01/06/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.109

Basic chemistry, you neutrailzed it by mixing. Acids drop the ph, alkalines raise the pH, even in alkaline water.

The water I use will leave calcium deposits in the dogs water bowls. It is a 8.4 on average, our water company even adds acid to bring it down to a usable pH.

I dont have any problem dropping the ph down to 1.5, it just takes more acid. So to drop the tan to 4.0 for the tanning chemical to work is not a problem.
But you must give it time to stabilize usually overnite, be fore adding the hides. Then keep a check on it during the day, you may find more acid is needed because of the salt in the hide.

are you talking about

This response submitted by eric on 01/06/2003. ( patti@syclone.net ) 63.80.112.123

the pickle or the tan? as far as the pickle just add more saftee as john c stated and let it stabilize...if your talking about the ez tanning solution i just use a combo of either the baking soda or white vinegar to balance out the proper ph and of course its important to recheck approx. 1 hour (or less) after placing hides into the solution.
good luck
eric

I'm talking about the tan

This response submitted by Jay on 01/06/2003. ( ) 63.125.71.146

Yes I know about the acid dropping it and the baking soda raising it, but what I wanted to know was, does the ez100 tan {the powder} actually drop the ph of the water like the luftan F does or does it not have any effect on the ph?
I didn't give it time to stabilize. Thanks

Mine goes to a 4 pH on it's own

This response submitted by Denton Shearin on 01/06/2003. ( denton@customtaxidermy.com ) 209.173.39.103

Jay,

My water is real close to a 7pH. I mix the tan up according to the directions provided by Bruce and it always goes to a 4 pH, so I would say the answer to your question is yes, the tan does drop the pH.

Don't know if your tan is too old or not.

Most likely your problem is because of the higher than normal pH of your water.

My water is a 6.8 PH!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/07/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.138.42

I have city water at a PH of 6.8 and the results I normally get are similiar to what Denton gets - usually a 4.1-4.2 PH. However, you may have highly mineralized water so that in spite of the EZ-100 dropping the PH, you may have to further adjust to get it to a 4.0 PH. But to answer your question - yes - it does drop the PH.

I dont think the age of the EZ-100 is a problem. As long as its been kept dry - it should remain effective for 5-10 years - at a minimum.

Return to Tanning Category Menu