LOOKING FOR A GOOD TANNING PRODUCT

Submitted by HEATHER W on 01/07/2003. ( AT WORK ) 205.188.209.103

Hello I am getting ready to tan a couple of white tail capes for shoulder mounts was wondering what product would probly be the best to use,as I have never tanned one my self but am looking to.I was going to go with the liqua-tan kit but was told by my local taxidermist I should just use dp but I would rather try and tan these capes could someone please tell me if this would be the way to go or another tan that would be as good..Thanks in advance Heather

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tan

This response submitted by John W. on 01/07/2003. ( ) 12.215.62.65

Heather,I would personally tan the hide's. D.P. hide's usually have a lot of shrinkage to deal with.The key 'whichever method you use,is to make sure you thin you're capes thin enough because thats where you'll have a lot of shrinkage problems- tanning- you're putting oil back into the fibers of the hide ,d.p.-you're not ,good luck.

Liqua tan is an exellent choice

This response submitted by b. bishop on 01/07/2003. ( bishops@newnorthdot net ) 209.83.43.89

so is Rittels EZ-100 and Lutan F. All are very good choices and most suppliers carry them.

John

This response submitted by Heather on 01/07/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.7

I have capes fleshed and salted hard,after I pickle them don't I have to thin them some more?I fleshed them to about were the skin has a blueish tint but kinda white,just wondering..Thanks Heather

Heather

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/07/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.136.61.215

You need to rehydrate them first and then place them in the pickle for three days. Keep an eye on the pickle so it maintains a PH of no higher than 2.0. From there the hide will swell and have to be shaved down till you get a bluish color. What you have is the basic color of a perfectly fleshed raw hide. After the three day pickle shave and then repickle for another day. Then you can neturlize it and tan it. Have fun and good luck with it.

EZ 100

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 01/07/2003. ( ) 66.109.134.135

EZ 100 from Bruce Rittle is about as easy and fool proof of a tan as there is.

Dave

Yes The Liqua Tan kit will be the best choice

This response submitted by Mark on 01/07/2003. ( Mark@knoblochs.com ) 66.134.117.169

Yes the Liqua tan kit is an excellent way to tan, and its very easy to do and follow. Liqua tanned hides have been proven to last through many different elements. All you need is salt and baking soda to go with the kit. We would be glad to send you a free technical handbook if you would like one, just email us your address and we'll get one on the way. Feel free to contact us if you need any help at 303-666-9045

Mark

Thanks

This response submitted by Heather on 01/07/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.199

I just ordered the liqua tan kit,thanks for all the help.
Heather

Return to Tanning Category Menu