washing before salting?

Submitted by wild bill on 01/10/2003. ( ) 24.67.253.204

I was just wondering if it was alright to wash a hide in cold water before I salt it. Just to try to clean it up a little. A buddy brought me a goat cape and it had a lot of dirt and small weeds in the fur. Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

ok

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 01/10/2003. ( ljmigda@nmo.net ) 12.32.78.254

I have washed different hides that were extremely bloody before pickling as i was afraid the pickle might make complete blood removal difficult later. But i always dry the hair of the animal somewhat before i salt. Most hair slippage is usually from moisture and warm temps. Never wash if hide is questionable. I use compressed air to dry hair or fur

I agree with Migda!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/10/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.141.36

Unless its bloody - keep it as dry as possible during salting and drying. If it's wet when you get it - try to dry it by blowing orrubbing in sawdust and blowing it out. Later after its thoroughly pickled, you can pull it out, drain for 30 minutes and wash it, rinse, and throw it back into the pickle.

If it's bloody, use cold water, or a good commercial Blood removing product - but always try to dry the cape or skin out before you salt and dry it! The Pickle will set Blood - so it should be done before it!

Return to Tanning Category Menu