scabs all over deer

Submitted by del on 01/03/2003. ( del279pt@yahoo.com ) 216.12.114.236

I just started to cape a deer when I saw small scabs all over the animals face and top of the head. They were not noticable untill I groomed the deer to remove dirt and blood. Every place there is a scab the hair is falling out. Needless to say I'll have to get a replacement cape. Has anyone ever ran into this problem or even know what it is. It's not fight marks, It's almost like some sort of mange.

Thanks, Del Moore

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I did

This response submitted by John on 01/03/2003. ( sorry ) 64.12.96.102

When I was dating a girl from a leper colony

ticks

This response submitted by Raven on 01/03/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Sounds like classic tick attack. No idea how to stop slippage on it or anything.. but thats what the lil scabs are... the insects leftovers *burp*

Ticks

This response submitted by CapeFear on 01/03/2003. ( ) 66.56.152.146

For once I've read a responce from Raven that didn't give me indigestion, and I have to say I totally agree with him. Although there may be another justifiable cause of your problem, I've seen alot of this in the tick infested coastal plains. Usually the problem and hair loss is mostly located on the back of the ears, then again alot of the deer I deal with are fairly shorthaired to begin with. Who loves ya BirdBoy? ;^) Marc R

Probably not ticks

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 01/04/2003. ( stagtax@aol.com ) 205.188.209.7

I have seen this only a few times. Ticks can and do cause damage to a deers epidermis causing hair problems. Sometimes, especially in the brisket area where a deer cannot scrath easily they will rub thier chest raw.

I think what is causing this problem is a form of eczema or some simular skin condition. Unfortunatly, once we (Taxidermist) excepts the cape from the client we are toatally responsible and the client assumes all is fine with it. I try to look for this as well as other scars, cuts or blemishes before the client leave my shop so I can point it out. Like I said I do not see this much but you need to replace the cape, unfortunatly.

scabs

This response submitted by mike on 01/25/2003. ( ) 165.247.120.21

del,
sometimes these scabs are from when the deer got into a fight, if it
was around the time of the rut. these scars left behing often add to
the character of the deer and the mount. check with your customer to
be sure that he doesn't want the deer to look natural before you waste
money on another cape.just a thought. i don't know what the marks left
behind look like.

Return to Tanning Category Menu